Honored Contributor

Queston about public parking

We have next door neighbor who happen to own two white vans.  Nobody drives the vans.  Until a few days ago, they were parked in front of their house.  Then they parked one of the vans (the rusted one) right in front of our house.  Since it's public parking, there is nothing we can do.  The van is an eyesore because of the rust.  My husband decided to wait a few more days before talking to them. I doubt it's insured since nobody is driving it.  (and the other white van which is in better shape)   I know we can't do anything at all since the owner lives in the same neighborhood with the parked car.   White vans are very popular with do it yourself construction workers/plumbers/heating workers who do private work on the side. There are a total of five white vans in the neighborhood.  All parked across the street, aside the the two vans from our neighbors.  Is there anything we can do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Queston about public parking

I don't know. The street is a public place. It might depend on  the zoning laws where you live.

Contributor

Check your city code for parked cars on your residential street.  Most don’t allow them to remain parked for a period of days or weeks.   Or call your local enforcement office they know the codes.  Cars with expired tags etc usually aren’t allowed on public streets.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

snip

Without parking permits or indeed on a private road, there is nothing that legally states that the parking space outside your house is reserved for your car. ... But there are a few cases when the law is on your side, such as if someone is blocking your driveway or their wheel is over the dropped kerb to your house.Jan 29, 2018

Just from the spelling I think the article is referring to the UK, but I haven't found anything  that seems to be different, in the US parking laws
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

We have next door neighbor who happen to own two white vans.  Nobody drives the vans.  Until a few days ago, they were parked in front of their house.  Then they parked one of the vans (the rusted one) right in front of our house. Since it's public parking, there is nothing we can do.  The van is an eyesore because of the rust.  My husband decided to wait a few more days before talking to them. I doubt it's insured since nobody is driving it.  (and the other white van which is in better shape)   I know we can't do anything at all since the owner lives in the same neighborhood with the parked car.   White vans are very popular with do it yourself construction workers/plumbers/heating workers who do private work on the side. There are a total of five white vans in the neighborhood.  All parked across the street, aside the the two vans from our neighbors.  Is there anything we can do?

@songbird   You just answered your own question, and since none of us live on your street we cannot answer you.  Only your local police will know what codes apply to your situation.

Just because the van isn't driven doesn't mean that there is no insurance, btw.  Unless the van has an expired registration/inspection sticker most public parking is not in any violation, fire hydrants and such as exceptions.

I've never heard of a "time limit" to park on a public street, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird - Unless the van has no plates, registration or has been abandoned, there isn't much you can do. It is afterall, a public street. You can check and city if your city ordinance allows for commercial vehicles to be parked in a residential area - see if the plates are commercial.

Trusted Contributor

I think the only hope is if it's unregistered. Do you have anything like a day where you have to be off the street or have to switch sides? If yes you could wait until then and when it's time to switch back put your car there for a bit. Maybe he'd get the point.

This really wouldn't bother be. We have tons of street parking here and there's a good chance someone will be in front of someone else's house. Some spaces in front of a house aren't available because of fire hydrants so it's a space lost right there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my state it is illegal to park any motor vehicle on a public street for longer than 72 hours in the same spot.  After which the vehicle needs to be moved from the spot. Also illegal is parking any vehicle that does not have a valid registration, which in my state, also includes insurance.

Trusted Contributor

What do you mean by "public parking"?  Is it residential or a mix area? 

I live in a city in Westchester County, NY.  Our city has very strict laws in regard to commercial v. residential.  No vehicles are allowed to be parked on any streets between 2a - 6a, all year long.  And they are ticketed.

I suggest calling your local parking or police depts to find out what is/isn't allowed.  

Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  people get around that by driving around the block .and then reparking a few feet away. The car has been moved. and so they are safe for 72 more hrs