Esteemed Contributor

“It’s important for us to show that we still care.

I am so proud.  From:  nbcnews.com/nightly-news/75th-anniversary-d-day-north-carolina-students-made-veterans-trip-n1014201

In the eyes of six students from Chapel Hill High School in North Carolina, Jacques Michienzi and George Chall helped save the world.

Jacques Michienzi, 95, was an Army Airborne Ranger who served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. George Chall, 96, was a combat medic with Gen. Patton’s Third Army in World War II.

And while high school sophomores Matthew Griesedieck, Elena Lowinger, Miles Charles, Cathy Charles, Kaelyn Elien and Daniel Price might come from a different generation, they wanted to make sure the two veterans had the chance to be honored on the 75th anniversary of D-Day.

That’s why the students spent months giving presentations at school events, working concession stands at sporting events and dances, and speaking to the local community as part of the “NC to Normandy” campaign. They ended up raising $25,000 to send Michienzi and Chall and their loved ones to Normandy, France, for the occasion.

“It’s important for us to show that we still care. And that we still remember everyone’s sacrifice,” Griesedieck said.

The actions of the two veterans came at a high cost, and both are still haunted by what they saw in service to the Allied forces.

Michienzi, a highly decorated veteran, was diagnosed with PTSD years after his military service. He still vividly recalls the horrors he witnessed while fighting in the Battle of the Bulge.

“We took a heavy toll,“ says Michienzi. He choked back tears as he told NBC News that he “gets inspired” when people thank him for his service.

Chall, too, is still haunted by his memories of the battle.

“I did treat a number of patients who were horribly wounded. And each one of those remains a capsule in my mind to this day,” Chall said.

Both veterans returned this week to the land they helped liberate. When they attend the commemoration event on Thursday, the students, who study French, will be at their sides acting as interpreters.

The students are accompanied by two teachers, Robin McMahon and Tony Carter, who together organized the first of such trips for the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

“The idea started as a whisper on Omaha Beach,” McMahon said.

Carter added that his own inspiration is watching “students learn through living history.”

"It was transforming not just for them but for me, as well,” he said.

In France on Wednesday, Lowinger noted that the veterans' sacrifice struck a personal note.

"The reason why I'm standing here is because these men stood here — 75 years ago," she said, "and as a Jewish girl, it's something I can never say thank you enough for."

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: “It’s important for us to show that we still care.

They absolutely did save the world...should never be forgotten. Wonderful young people. Great post.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp  You are so proud. Do you have a personal connection to anyone mentioned?  What is the reason for your pride?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I saw that wonderful story on the Nightly News.

It really touched my heart.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

@Marp  You are so proud. Do you have a personal connection to anyone mentioned?  What is the reason for your pride?

@esmerelda 

Keepin’  it real.

’k?

A generous, thoughtful, remembrance / educational idea funded by students and the community.  Good to be active in one’s community, as well as with experiential, multi - generational learning, isn’t it?

Not presuming to speak for @Marp 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing @Marp. What a heart warming story.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

What a strange question.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

Why is it a strange question? Maybe some do not like that she asked it, but it's as valid a question as any of the other comments is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think what Marp did was pass on the inspiring , good news!  I for one love to hear good news,  as we all know you won't  always find it in the nightly news!!  I love hearing of young people learning the  past, and keeping it alive.  If not them, who?