Honored Contributor

Re: Queston about public parking

[ Edited ]

So what about parking in front of your own house for an extended period of time because you either have the day off and/or you don't have room for 2 cars?

Or somebody is visiting and staying with you for a few days and has to park in the road?

Not every house has a garage and not every house has a double driveway.

Most households today have at least 2 cars.

I get about unregistered cars, etc.  I already addressed those issues.  But it seems that some of these complaints are more about being territorial than about breaking some parking code.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@songbird in our neighborhood cars cannot sit on the street for days on end..not sure how many days..I would call the police and ask.  They will probabaly come and mark where the tires are and then revisit when the allowed amount of days have passed.  If not moved (in my town) the would get a warning then a ticket if not moved.

Honored Contributor

I don't know of any incorporated area that allows parking of abandoned or inoperable vehicles on the street.  Call your police department.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Another A hole of a neighbor.  Seems like he needs some acreage to park his junk vehicles on.  I've had a similar problem in the past.

I first called the police and told them it appeared like an abandoned vehicle was left in front of my house.  Had been in the same spot for days and no sign of any driver.  Turns out if the vehicle is registered it could be parked anywhere, no matter how much of an eyesore it is.  I find this type of thoughtless behavior infuriating.  Who wants somebody else's junk vehicle parked right smack in front of their home so that when they look out their picture window, that's the first thing they see.  Makes my blood pressure rise.

However, if you are living in a place like NYC or a busy metropolitan area where street parking is the only parking, that's a different story. 

On a residential street where the homes have garages and driveways and choose to park their junk cars in front of someone else's home, that's incredibly rude.  I don't know what's with people.  Their garages contain so much junk they can't fit a car or van in there.  And they don't want more than one vehicle in the driveway because they don't want to jockey the cars around.  Hey, let's park it in front of THEIR house!!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

What do you mean by "public parking"?  Is it residential or a mix area? 

I live in a city in Westchester County, NY.  Our city has very strict laws in regard to commercial v. residential.  No vehicles are allowed to be parked on any streets between 2a - 6a, all year long.  And they are ticketed.

I suggest calling your local parking or police depts to find out what is/isn't allowed.  

Good luck.  

I used to live in an area that had the same restriction - no cars on the streets between 2 am and 6 am.  Everyone had garages and driveways, usually very long driveways, and that's where homeowners (and their guests) were supposed to park.

So laws are different everywhere.  I'm not sure anyone here can advise the OP, and your suggestion of calling the Police Dept. is a good one.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@songbird   Are they business vehicles?  Do they have a business logo or information on them?  Even if they don't they might still be considered business vehicles if they have no side windows.  

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and they along with boats, trailers & RVs are not allowed to be parked overnight on the street or driveways of the neighborhood.  I know a lot of people don't like HOAs but this is one of the benefits of living in such a community.  

It's not just HOA's that have those kinds of regulations.

I just posted about living in an area where cars could not be parked overnight. There were other laws too regarding commercial vehicles, boats, etc.  There was no HOA.  They were town laws.  And they were enforced.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@SilleeMee  people get around that by driving around the block .and then reparking a few feet away. The car has been moved. and so they are safe for 72 more hrs

I know about that.  Yes, it's a residential street.  That's what I mean  by public parkng.  I don't the street in front of my house.  That's why our hands are tied. Both vans are not used. Just sit there. I've never seen anyone drive them.  they were originally parked in front ot their house.  The neighbors are tenents of a former neighbor. I don't know how they got the vans.  They only use one car.   I haven't checked his tags yet.  

Regular Contributor

This issue in my neighborhood drives me NUTS!  We have parking only on one side of the street due to fire zones and of course it is our side of the street. I can't tell you how many times we haven't gotten mail because someone parked either in front of or too close to the mail box.  Some of our cul-de-sac neighbors have 4 and 5 cars that they don't park in the garage or the driveway. So many days there is not one spot of street parking for anyone who might have a visitor.  Don't even get me started on the big van that is blocking the vision on the main curve of our development. Although it sits in their driveway. the parking is on the other side of the street so someone coming down can't see.  They tried parking in front of their across the street neighbor's house but obviously there must have been some words because now it is in the driveway. They don't use their garage either for the three vehicles that reside there.  

Unfortunately, in my area this is not illegal and nothing can be done other than politely speaking with your neighbor about their cars and parking in their garages or driveways, Of course that doesn't always go well and makes for chilly relationships.  So therefore we just have to deal with it.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

i only park my car on the street one morning a week for maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours  for reasons I won't get into here. One of my neighbors across the street from us told me I am not allowed to park in front of their house.  Of course, the street is public... so they really had no right to tell me that. Unfortunately they are the type of people who would probably slash my tires if I parked there so I avoid it.  

However in my town cars cannot be parked for more than 3 days.  If they are parked longer than that they would be considered to be abandoned and ticketed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

In my city you cannot park what is considered an inoperable vehicle in sight of the neighborhood. We have a neighbor who has a rusted truck shell with no doors, tires, windshield or anything else. It’s just a rusted bucket of bolts. Anyway this guy would park this thing in his driveway and I would report (anonymously) him to the city. He had 5 days to get it out of sight or be fined. He would comply for a few weeks then his wife would tell him to get it out of the garage and he would again put it in the driveway. After about a year of this back and forth with the city he finally made an extension of his fence and put it out of sight. I guess he finally got sick of people reporting him.  I don’t know why he insists on keeping it because it will never be anything better than it is. He would then complain to the neighbors about how he should be able to put this so called truck anywhere he wants because it’s a “classic” We don’t live in an HOA but the city has rules on abandoned vehicles.

@MeowingkittyHow is he moving this without tires? 

He has some kind of a lift thing he hooks onto the car and moves it that way with his other truck. Kinda like towing it.