Respected Contributor

Re: Question regarding tipping

@Somertime But, do you love your hair?

That is way too much stress for me to get my hair done! I would rather get a root canal or go to the gynocologist than deal with going to the hair salon.

Just tell me how much it is to get my hair cut/colored, do it & let me out!

The talking, the discussing, the final thing where they hand you a mirror to look at the back of your head! It is so awful! And, then there is math. 

They tell you a total & expect you to stand there & figure a generous extra amount to give them for the service that you are already paying for while they look at you.Ugh.

Honored Contributor

Years ago (many) the owner of the salon would not accept at tip.  This was back home.  When we moved here,  the owner(s) would accept a tip.

I tip the shampoo person one amount and the owner a higher amount.  I tip in cash.

I agree that not tipping the owner is outdated.

It is odd that the stylist only did the cut but if that is how this salon operates the only choice is to find somebody else or tip graciously.

It also shouldn't matter if the salon is "high end" or one of those chain salons.

A haircut is a haircut; a service was provided and tipping at a hair salon is common practice.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3   I, too, found it odd that he, only, trimmed my hair and his assistant did the blow out and styling.  This was my first experience that was done this way.  I frequented many Manhattan salons when I lived in NY but my stylist did everyhting except shampooing.  I live in SW Florida, now, so I was very surprised.  I did tip both of them and in cash as well.

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1   I can't say I love it but I don't blame him since it was only a trim and a slight shaping, not an entire restyle.  I had not been to a hairdresser since February so my hair grew a lot.  I was unsure whether to keep the length which I did chose to do.  Lately, I can't stand the length anymore, so on my next appointment, I will go back to shorter hair, at that time I'll be able to judge better if he is a good cutter and if I am happy with it.  I was, just, surprised he, only, did the trim and left everything else to his assistant.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369   I agree.  I never tip the owner.  Intersting, but when I was a kid & just starting to get my hair, that was what my mother said.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@Cakers3   I, too, found it odd that he, only, trimmed my hair and his assistant did the blow out and styling.  This was my first experience that was done this way.  I frequented many Manhattan salons when I lived in NY but my stylist did everyhting except shampooing.  I live in SW Florida, now, so I was very surprised.  I did tip both of them and in cash as well.

@Somertime   Maybe the assistant was in training?  I think you should have been told, though, if that had been the case.  Either that or they were over-booked.

I need a haircut myself but haven't had time to find out if he has reopened!!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3   That is what I thought.  I asked her when she would be getting her license and was told she, already, had one and was going for her Master Stylist.  ???????????

Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

We shouldn't have to be mathematicians to add a gratuity to an already high- priced service. If I were you, I would add 20-25% to the bill and allow them to decide how to split it.

ITA!!!!! 

Respected Contributor

I like to know as well.  I'm in a similar situation.  My hairdresser moved to different type of salon.  It's call The Phenix.  It's a large building that individual hairdressers buy/rent (not sure which one) a room.  For her space, she opted to take the wall down in the middle which would separate two hairdressers and join up with her long time friend and hairdresser that she's been with for  years.  She says it's something she's always wanted to do and she did say "own her own shop."  She does everything herself...the cut, blow dry, color, shampoo.  I continue to tip her but wondering if I should.  To be honest, I think it would be awkward if I didn't.  I pay by check but I've seen others using their credit card in her phone and it's clear that when doing that transaction it seems their is an option to tip, something like either 20% or 10%.  Her prices have also gone up since re-opening after pandemic shut down.  

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

As long as I live, I will never understand why we're expected to tip at a hair salon.

I agree with this.  It makes sense in a restaurant, since they make less than minimum wage, but a hair salon?  They make a good wage without tipping.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York