Esteemed Contributor

Question for those w pierced ears

[ Edited ]

For those with pierced ears does this happen to you? I have 2 piercings on each ear lobe. I dont put earrings in the 2nd holes as much as the 1st.. But I had posts in the 2nd holes the other day and they went in easy that time (sometimes I have to fiddle with them to get them all the way through).

Well today they went in the front but would not come out the back (it was like they closed 1/2 way).. I just spent over 1 hour trying to get the posts through. lol.I finallly got fed up and used ice and numbed the ear lobes and pushed them through the back to open up the back half of the hole!. (But now they feel sore and I used peroxide on the earrings and on my ear lobes too).

I never have trouble with the first piercing which I got at age 13. The 2nd holes in each ear lobe I got at 40 some yrs old and often have problems with them closing in the back. (Like a thickness grows over the back hole or something). Anyway, now that I got them through, I am letting them in for days.

When I do I take them out again then, IF this happens that I cant put them through again, I am letting them close for good.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for those w pierced ears

I wish my second holes would go away.............ouch I bet that hurt.  I do get infection in one ear, one can have a rusty nail the other needs sterling silver without nickle and 14kt gold and up.

Trusted Contributor

My dermatologist  wote me a prescription for a cream that heals my ear that gets infected and it works like magic.

Trusted Contributor

I notice less double ear piercings now than when I was younger it was popular to have two or three. I let my second holes close as just seems better to me now, too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U

I  have a second piercing in only 1 ear, so 3 in all.

The timing of getting them was about the same as yours.

If I don't wear an earring in my left ear, one of the older piercings, it does the same as yours!   If I work hard enough I can usually FIND the back opening, but it is a PITA!

Now I try to have something in all the time, and I use alcohol when it acts up.

I can ONLY wear 14 kt or higher, or everyone acts up.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@Shorty2U Your problem is MY problem. First piercing I was about 21. No problems. Second piercing I was in my forties. If I don't wear earrings in the 2nd piercing occasionally, the holes are hard to push an earring through. I spend more time with one earring on the 2nd piercing than I do for both of the regular. I will put Neosporin on the post when I insert into the 2nd piercing...my earlobes still turn red and itch sometimes. My answer has been to wear the 2nd piercing more often...maybe just once a week and that seems to help the ear accept the post without any reaction and I don't need to use the Neosporin or hydrocortisone. 

My first piercing was done at a jewelry store with an ice cube and needle, by the jeweler. The 2nd one was done once the piercing guns were available...I'm not sure, but I think the piercing gun, for whatever reason, did not do as good a job. I still like the 2nd piercing, as I have a lot of earrings and want to get as much use as possible from them. 

Honored Contributor

I only have one hole in each lobe, made almost 50 years ago.

Due to so much phone work at my job, I didn't wear earrings for at least 5 years, probably more, I think. I asumed they would have closed up, but no - and now that I'm retired I'm wearing earrings again from time to time. My right ear has always had a slightly crooked hole and that's still an issue sometimes, but - they never closed. I was flabbergasted.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Shorty, the exact same thing happens to me all the time.  I would like to just put in a pair of tiny studs and leave them there 24/7, but those would have to be threaded back/threaded clutch (can't use that s*rew word) so they wouldn't fall out and get lost.  I bought a pair of 14kt white gold earrings with small diamonds that were designed for babies to wear, but they must have nickel in them, because they make my ears swell up and get red, and have to come out.  I am going to have to break down and go to a jewelry store and buy some 18kt, nickel-free-guaranteed posts with threaded backs, and hope for the best, I guess.  Have you considered finding a "permanent" pair of earrings to wear in your top piercings?  Years ago I used to see very fine wire hoops sold to wear in upper piercings, but I never see those any more, I wonder if they would be easier to wear 24/7?  Anyway, you aren't alone, I wish you good luck finding a good solution!

Respected Contributor

I try to keep a very small stud in my second piercing but I change earrings a lot and sometimes wear some that look better on their own. I'm bad about taking out the little studs and misplacing one or both. I wear platinum, 14k gold, sterling silver, or stainless steel studs in the second holes. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a piercing in each lobe and a second slightly above each.  I used to have a problem with that second hole feeling like it was closing in back so I'd get the piercing post (with the points on the tip) and ram it through.  I don't wear earings when I go to work out.  More often than not, I'm only wearing them on the weekends or if I have someplace to go during the week.  I don't seem to have an issue anymore.  I do have one cartilage piercing that I keep a tiny post in all the time and plans to get a second, more permanent type, cartilage piercing within the next couple of weeks.