Valued Contributor

Re: Question for those w pierced ears

I have 2 piercings in each ear. I have the same problem with both piercings because I wear earrings infrequently since I work from home, and never in the second holes.

My solution which usually works, is to take a post earring and put it in back to front, leave it that way for a few seconds, and then remove and put it in the correct way. If that fails, and it usually doesn't, then I just stab the thing through and say "ouch"! 

For the heck of it a few weeks ago, I tried to put earrings through the second holes which I hadn't in 30 years or more, and the earrings did go in, but they drove me crazy itching.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U   Yes, it has been happening to me for about one year.  I only have one piercing in each ear lobe, but if I take the studs out then the lobe/holes start to close with a crust-like closure.  Now, when I clean my ears with alcohol I put the earrings back in quickly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The piercing shrinks if you don't wear jewelry often enough. If you've had the piercing long enough that it healed completely ( which you obviously have) then it doesn't actually completely heal closed, it just shrinks so small that you can't get jewelry in.

I let my second holes shrink by not wearing jewelry in them for years and about 10 years ago went to a body piercer and they used a taper to stretch them enough to insert 16 gauge jewelry back in. Since then I've worn jewelry in my ears 24/7. I only wear body jewelry in mine so there is no risk of losing the jewelry and the backs are much more comfortable than traditional earrings. 

I've never left jewelry out of my other piercings. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

For those with pierced ears does this happen to you? I have 2 piercings on each ear lobe. I dont put earrings in the 2nd holes as much as the 1st.. But I had posts in the 2nd holes the other day and they went in easy that time (sometimes I have to fiddle with them to get them all the way through).

Well today they went in the front but would not come out the back (it was like they closed 1/2 way).. I just spent over 1 hour trying to get the posts through. lol.I finallly got fed up and used ice and numbed the ear lobes and pushed them through the back to open up the back half of the hole!. (But now they feel sore and I used peroxide on the earrings and on my ear lobes too).

I never have trouble with the first piercing which I got at age 13. The 2nd holes in each ear lobe I got at 40 some yrs old and often have problems with them closing in the back. (Like a thickness grows over the back hole or something). Anyway, now that I got them through, I am letting them in for days.

When I do I take them out again then, IF this happens that I cant put them through again, I am letting them close for good.

@Shorty2U wow the exact same thing happened to me recently( my fault for not wearing earrings in my 2nd hole)

I had to get them pierced again, thank goodness no problems with infection. I also recently got one piercing on my right side upper lobe and love it. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't wear earrings in my 2nd hole for many years and decided to try again a few months ago.  One went in just fine.  The other one went through to a thin layer of skin on the back side so I just shoved it through.  I used alcohol a couple of times and it healed fine.  

I'm torn on letting the second hole go.  I have a pair of 14k rose gold moissanite studs that I wear there and I love them.  

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U  Wow!  You know how you always think you're the only one with a particular problem?  Now I feel vindicated.  I have 3 piercings in each ear (I have large ears, so this helps to cover them a bit).  I started with the bottom one 40 years ago, then worked my way up with the other two.  I lost a lot of studs from the top one, so about 7 years ago I got a pair of tiny 14K hearts with screw backs.  I put them in, and haven't taken them out ever since!  In the middle hole I have a pair of small 14K hoops with diamond accents.  I've had those in for about 5 years without removing them.

Now the bottom piercing on the right side is the one that recently started behaving just as you described.  I've always felt that hole was a little bit angled or something, but lately there are times when I just can't seem to find the opening at the back of the ear to get the earring through.  If I wear anything other than a leverback, I literally have to push a thicker post (like on a hoop) through the hole because it seems the hole is too small.  That sometimes makes me ear bleed and swell.  I really don't understand because I wear earrings in there every day without fail.  I only remove them at night.  On the other side, I can push any earring through without even looking in the mirror! 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U My daughter got a second piercing when she was in her 30's. They were not done properly and did not go through in a "straight line". She didn't have trouble for several years, then had the same difficulty you mentioned. Her derm recommended putting polysporin on the post and if she still had to do too much poking around to get through to back of the piercing, she  should let it grow back & have it pierced again when healed.

Honored Contributor

First piercing at 13 second at 17 and still wear in both holes.  I usually just do studs in the second hole to coordinate with the first.   Never had a problem but my Moms ear piercing grew back when she stopped wearing earrings for a while.  She had them redone.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was about 24, I decided I wanted pieced ears.  I did not want to pay for it ... so,  I went into the bathroom with  ice cubes and a sewing needle and a cork.  I froze my ear lob until it was numb,  put the needle into my ear lobe with the cork behind the lobe,  and twisted and turned  and pushed the needle through... I could hear the crunching but felt no pain.  After wards I put a  stainless steel hoop earing into the new hole and dabbed the hole and earring with hydrogen peroxide.  Then I did the other ear.

I continued to put the hydrogen peroxide on the ear lobes and wiggled the hoop earring every day to keep  the hole open as the ear healed.  In about two weeks they were all healed up and I was wearing all kinds of fun earrings!    I  have never had an infection.. the two holes have never closed up,  and they still are perfect  40 some years later.  I really did a great job! An it cost me nothing!   Now retired, I go for weeks at a time with no earring on, and the holes never close up.

I was a bit gutsy in my youth.... I do not think I would do this today at age 61!

Honored Contributor

have 2 pierceings in each ear. i have earrings in both openings at all times. i use the hoop earrings so i can sleep with them in my ears without pain