Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Your son needs to research this issue and do his own looking and asking.  He should run his questions by you, and chat, but he needs to do this on his own.  If he doesn't understand this time, he never will.

Do you know this family personaly? It is not your business whether his family helps him or not.

Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Your son needs to research this issue and do his own looking and asking.  He should run his questions by you, and chat, but he needs to do this on his own.  If he doesn't understand this time, he never will.

Do you know this family personaly? It is not your business whether his family helps him or not.

@RealtyGal2 It's a discussion.  If kids don't learn this stuff they will suffer the rest of their lives. I don't understand your point here. 

I think everybody here understands it is not my business, including me.  It's a discussion.  

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom You don't have to justify it to anyone. Your son, your life, your decisions.

As usual it's some posters here projecting their own issues and holier than thou lecturing. Ask a simple question here and you will always be sorry. That's one reason I never do it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@beach-mom You don't have to justify it to anyone. Your son, your life, your decisions.

As usual it's some posters here projecting their own issues and holier than thou lecturing. Ask a simple question here and you will always be sorry. That's one reason I never do it.

Asking a simple question or advice is risky. People start lecturing on how they think you should act, even if it's not their business. Too many are judgmental.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

DS is apartment hunting. He is doing this on his own with no roommate (first time).

He found his "dream" apartment a week ago. He emailed the landlord to set up a time to sign the lease and never heard back. He tried a second time. Nothing. Turns out the girl looking at the same apartment at the same time took it. DS said she seemed uninterested during the tour and asked no questions about utilities and other things. Of course he did! I guess she liked the answers they gave him! But I think it's rude of the landlord not to at least answer his email, saying the apartment was rented.

He looked at one late yesterday afternoon that was also already rented, but the landlord later contacted him, told him she was also a realtor, and asked him to send her a list of what he's looking for and price ranges. She has some apartments for him to look at. My question is since he's working with a realtor for the first time  will he have to pay any commission? TIA!  Smiley Happy

@beach-momthe commission is the landlord's responsibility. As for helping your son, keep helping him. Don't listen to all of the negative responses. That is what we do as parents. We help our children navigate through life. He will watch and learn and be just fine.
Esteemed Contributor

In New Jersey the tenant pays the Realtors' commission unless a different agreement is reached between the parties.