Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,931
Registered: ‎05-21-2010

Re: Question for Realtors

[ Edited ]

@Sooner,

I don't agree with this but I know many parents feel like once a child graduates from college or turns 21 they should be able to move out on their own with no help from the parents. This is his first time finding an apartment on his own and signing a lease. If his mom wants to help him a little so what? Next time he will have the knowledge to do this for himself. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,787
Registered: ‎06-24-2011

@beach-mom   Some realtors are also in the business of property management. They receive 10-20% of the monthly rent from the owner of the property as their fee. They may also receive a finder's fee. Your son may have a credit check, security deposit, and an extra fee if he has any pets. The current cost of rentals is exceptionally high. I hope he has very good luck in finding something he likes; he's already lucky to have caring parents like you.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,564
Registered: ‎06-07-2010

Wow! He is your child and you can always help. If it were a friend doing something for the first time and asked for help I am sure all  of you would be happy to help with a situation. Everything you do for the first time can be hard. Help whenever possible.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 694
Registered: ‎11-21-2017

Re: Question for Realtors

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

Wow! He is your child and you can always help. If it were a friend doing something for the first time and asked for help I am sure all  of you would be happy to help with a situation. Everything you do for the first time can be hard. Help whenever possible.


 

@Janey2  Yes I agree,  it is "OK " to help your son with his first apartment or the first time he is buying a house.  My son graduated from college and needed an apartment with two new graduates and I went with him and pointed out things he would not have realized. He ended up with a really nice apartment that he is happy with.  The landlord was a little leary renting to three young college boys but I think because she saw the parents she was more ready to rent to them.  Apartments where he lives goes very fast.  They sometimes have 10 people on a list to help.  

         If your son is still asking for help in 5 or ten years that is a problem, but helping now is good parenting.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 922
Registered: ‎01-27-2020

@ beach-mom - Your son is not experienced in apartment hunting and all that goes along with it.  No reason you can't lend a hand and give advice.  I would (and have) do the same.  He's still your baby and will not need help forever.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,979
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Cats3000 wrote:

Landlord never told him the apartment was rented?  He's learned at least one lesson in life.  Some businessmen care; others don't. 

 

Your son is old enough to look for an apartment?  Will the realtor charge a commission?  Why doesn't he ask the realtor that question?   

 

Let him function on his own.


Completely rude and unnecessary  response.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,979
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@beach-mom   Sheesh, you ask a simple question and end up with a lecture on parenting skills.    I know, I should be used to such responses by now.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,710
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@50Mickey wrote:

@Sooner,

I don't agree with this but I know many parents feel like once a child graduates from college or turns 21 they should be able to move out on their own with no help from the parents. This is his first time finding an apartment on his own and signing a lease. If his mom wants to help him a little so what? Next time he will have the knowledge to do this for himself. 


@50Mickey That's what I said.  He should research the issue and sit down with mom to see if he has missed anything.  And yes I do believe when you are 21 it's time to grow up.  You aren't a kid or a child any more.  

 

Mommy shouldn't have to hold your hand or sign for you. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,021
Registered: ‎01-06-2015

@Citrine1 wrote:

@beach-mom   Sheesh, you ask a simple question and end up with a lecture on parenting skills.    I know, I should be used to such responses by now.  


Yes, that's how it goes on these forums. Lots of perfect experts on other people's lives.

"Empathy is a superpower"
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Heck, my daughter just turned 49 -- if she ever wants our help, we're here.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland