Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

Landlord never told him the apartment was rented?  He's learned at least one lesson in life.  Some businessmen care; others don't. 

Your son is old enough to look for an apartment?  Will the realtor charge a commission?  Why doesn't he ask the realtor that question?   

Let him function on his own.

Completely rude and unnecessary  response.  

Par for the course, @Citrine1 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Odd to get a lecture on parenting when she was asking if any realtors knew if there is a fee to find an apartment. 

Maybe they misunderstood the question because no one would be the rude.  Oh wait...

Esteemed Contributor

I can see why some ¨kid¨s don´t talk to their parents.

@beach-mom  some Agents will charge a few, but I´m sure she will tell him especially if he has to sign a Contract with him.

Here in Atlanta, the Agents I know charge a few for finding you an apartment. Whereas some get a fee from the owners.

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Odd to get a lecture on parenting when she was asking if any realtors knew if there is a fee to find an apartment. 

Maybe they misunderstood the question because no one would be the rude.  Oh wait...

There is always one in the bunch and that´s why a lot of Threads get deleted.  They do this  on purpose.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Landlord never told him the apartment was rented?  He's learned at least one lesson in life.  Some businessmen care; others don't. 

Your son is old enough to look for an apartment?  Will the realtor charge a commission?  Why doesn't he ask the realtor that question?   

Let him function on his own.

Remind me of the Landlord

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Realtors

[ Edited ]

Wow - what a spirited discussion! Thank you to everyone who was kind with her advice.

I can't sit down, hold his hand, and/or sign for him as I AM ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY! If he lived near us he might ask our advice, but the decisions would be his.

Just for clarification, in my original post I was talking about two different landlords . He has been looking for a few months and he has dealt with many landlords.

So when he told us about the one landlord not answering his emails we thought it was strange. I still think that landlord should have responded to him with a quick email saying the apartment had been rented.

Late yesterday he contacted the landlord who is also a realtor. He didn't know this until she told him, and she told him she would help him. I didn't ask him much about her, but said it was nice for her to do this.

When I told DH about talking to him DH AND I wondered if he would have to pay anything. We didn't know, but I knew my forum friends might! So I decided to ask! Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Realtors

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom :  since he's part of your animal-loving family, will he be getting a furry/other companion to keep him company?  

Honored Contributor

I just wish MY kids would ask me for advice lol!

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@beach-mom :  since he's part of your animal-loving family, will he be getting a furry/other companion to keep him company?  

LOL @feline groovy! I'm sure he would love one or two! He did live with a big dog (and his owner) for about 6 months. He loves to pet sit and last weekend had a 6 month old rescue kitty. He had called home disappointed that kitty just wanted to sleep. Well kitty changed her mind when the sun went down! He had her all weekend until her owners got back. A lot of his friends have pets. He has never lived without a kitty or two or three or . . ! He couldn't take anyone with him to the dorms of course, but I think when the time is right someone who needs to be rescued and loved will find him! 

I know there are a few here who curl up on his bed with him when he comes home to visit!   Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

DS is apartment hunting. He is doing this on his own with no roommate (first time).

He found his "dream" apartment a week ago. He emailed the landlord to set up a time to sign the lease and never heard back. He tried a second time. Nothing. Turns out the girl looking at the same apartment at the same time took it. DS said she seemed uninterested during the tour and asked no questions about utilities and other things. Of course he did! I guess she liked the answers they gave him! But I think it's rude of the landlord not to at least answer his email, saying the apartment was rented.

He looked at one late yesterday afternoon that was also already rented, but the landlord later contacted him, told him she was also a realtor, and asked him to send her a list of what he's looking for and price ranges. She has some apartments for him to look at. My question is since he's working with a realtor for the first time  will he have to pay any commission? TIA!  Smiley Happy

There is a commission for rentals, but it is usually pain by the landlord unless DS has made other arrangements with the realtor. He needs to ask the realtor.