Honored Contributor

DS is apartment hunting. He is doing this on his own with no roommate (first time).

He found his "dream" apartment a week ago. He emailed the landlord to set up a time to sign the lease and never heard back. He tried a second time. Nothing. Turns out the girl looking at the same apartment at the same time took it. DS said she seemed uninterested during the tour and asked no questions about utilities and other things. Of course he did! I guess she liked the answers they gave him! But I think it's rude of the landlord not to at least answer his email, saying the apartment was rented.

He looked at one late yesterday afternoon that was also already rented, but the landlord later contacted him, told him she was also a realtor, and asked him to send her a list of what he's looking for and price ranges. She has some apartments for him to look at. My question is since he's working with a realtor for the first time  will he have to pay any commission? TIA!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom Your son needs to ask the realtor!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for Realtors

[ Edited ]

Landlord never told him the apartment was rented?  He's learned at least one lesson in life.  Some businessmen care; others don't. 

Your son is old enough to look for an apartment?  Will the realtor charge a commission?  Why doesn't he ask the realtor that question?   

Let him function on his own.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

He looked at one late yesterday afternoon that was also already rented, but the landlord later contacted him, told him she was also a realtor, and asked him to send her a list of what he's looking for and price ranges. She has some apartments for him to look at. My question is since he's working with a realtor for the first time  will he have to pay any commission? TIA!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom 

No, he should not pay anything.

I think I know what state this is, based on your posts.

Valued Contributor
Some collect a commission from the apartment owners and some collect from the tenant. Definitely advise him to inquire before they go out to view the apartments.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your posts everyone!

@lolakimono - I just wish he weren't so far from us! But he has been since he left for college!   Smiley Wink

@Cats3000 - Of course he's doing this on his own. I never asked him about it. DH and I were just curious. He's always been very independent!   

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom  Rentals in hot real estate markets are as hard if not harder to find than homes for purchase. If he finds one next time and it is in a decent area with affordable rent he needs to move on it ASAP. Don't let people get to you with with saying that he needs to do this on his own. When my daughter graduated from college and moved away from home for her first job mom and dad went with her to look at apartments and ask questions that she would not have known to ask at 21 year old. But this year she purchased her first home, a condo in Chicago and she did it all on her own without any advice from mom and dad. They learn and It sounds like he is moving in the right direction. I wish him luck in finding his dream apartment. 

Honored Contributor

Your son needs to research this issue and do his own looking and asking.  He should run his questions by you, and chat, but he needs to do this on his own.  If he doesn't understand this time, he never will.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@beach-mom  Rentals in hot real estate markets are as hard if not harder to find than homes for purchase. If he finds one next time and it is in a decent area with affordable rent he needs to move on it ASAP. Don't let people get to you with with saying that he needs to do this on his own. When my daughter graduated from college and moved away from home for her first job mom and dad went with her to look at apartments and ask questions that she would not have known to ask at 21 year old. But this year she purchased her first home, a condo in Chicago and she did it all on her own without any advice from mom and dad. They learn and It sounds like he is moving in the right direction. I wish him luck in finding his dream apartment. 

Thank you @50Mickey- that's really sweet of you!  I'll let you know how he makes out.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Your son needs to research this issue and do his own looking and asking.  He should run his questions by you, and chat, but he needs to do this on his own.  If he doesn't understand this time, he never will.

@Sooner - He is! We are too far away to do anything anyway. It is his first time BY HIMSELF, but only because he's not looking with roommates he would be living with! He will handle this just fine!