Occasional Contributor

Thank you for pointing that out - I was mistaken.  I assumed it was a merger/takeover from the article I read.

Esteemed Contributor

It looks like a merger, acts like a merger, is a de facto merger..

Cracks me up when folks get bent out of shape about this.  Q bought HSN!

Esteemed Contributor

Various headlines from July 2017

CBSNews: QVC buys HSN in a move to challenge Amazon

CNN Money: QVC Buys Home Shopping Network

NYTMES:  QVC to Merge with Home Shopping Network

NYPost:  QVC buys HSN in bid to keep up with online retail giants

Washington Post:  QVC to merge with rival Home Shopping Network

WALL STREET JOURNAL:  QVC to acquire rival HSN

FORBES:  QVC is buying Home Shopping Network

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@Johnnyeager  Yes, those are the headlines for all the major networks.  But please don't encourage people to only read headlines.  That's what a large part of what's wrong with all media today.  Just read a misleading headline and interpret it as the only information you need to know.  No one reads the full article anymore.  Drives me crazy!  Then they share this wrong information with the next person. 

You know why the networks all say QVC buys HSN?  That's the title that grabs people.  No one has ever heard of Qurate or Liberty Media for that matter.  So if the headline said Liberty Media, the Parent Company of QVC, Buys the Remaining Shares of HSN, and Changes its Name to Qurate -- absolutely no one would pay attention to that headline at all.  It's juicier to read QVC buys HSN, that's all.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It appears that shipping charges will be the same for both channels.  QVC raised the price on clothing to $3.50 and HSN did the same.  Give them a year and you wont be able to tell the difference between the two channels.

@Kachina624 The way things seem to be rolling along... not even sure it'll take them a year for these two to become mirror images...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@Johnnyeager  Yes, those are the headlines for all the major networks.  But please don't encourage people to only read headlines.  That's what a large part of what's wrong with all media today.  Just read a misleading headline and interpret it as the only information you need to know.  No one reads the full article anymore.  Drives me crazy!  Then they share this wrong information with the next person. 

You know why the networks all say QVC buys HSN?  That's the title that grabs people.  No one has ever heard of Qurate or Liberty Media for that matter.  So if the headline said Liberty Media, the Parent Company of QVC, Buys the Remaining Shares of HSN, and Changes its Name to Qurate -- absolutely no one would pay attention to that headline at all.  It's juicier to read QVC buys HSN, that's all.

Exactly!  Apparently, Quarate doesn't know anything about the QVC, HSN merger.  Someone should tell them!!!!  According to Quarate..

"We are seven leading retail brands, reaching approximately 370 million homes worldwide through 16 television networks and multiple ecommerce sites, social pages, mobile apps, print catalogs and in-store destinations."

Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC HSN Merge

[ Edited ]

I respectfully disagree, but to each his/her own and it is what it is.

After 35 years on Wall Street, I've just about had it.  Time to cash in my QVC stock.  Our acquisition of and merger with HSN was rough.

Onward and Upward.

Super Contributor

I DID SEE FARMER JOHNS POPCORN ON HSN THE OTHER DAY..

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager How can Quarate then continue to lie about this if what you're saying is true?

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I respectfully disagree, but to each his/her own and it is what it is.

After 35 years on Wall Street, I've just about had it.  Time to cash in my QVC stock.  Our acquisition of and merger with HSN was rough.

Onward and Upward.

@Johnnyeager  Smiley Very Happy  I do get it that QVC is the much stronger sister compared to HSN; Mike George is at the helm.  QVC will have more say and move Qurate in the direction it wants to go for all its separate companies.  I'm just stating that structurally, what has been reported in detail, and repeated in shareholder calls by Qurate, is the separation of companies.

I'm sure the hosts and vendors at HSN most assuredly know that QVC has eaten them up, and will spit out whomever isn't drawing in the big bucks. Power, versus business structure can be two very different things.

However, if you are truly an insider, I defer to you happily and entirely.