Honored Contributor

QUESTION FOR EBAY SELLERS - POSTAGE?

A few weeks ago I noticed that postage labels purchased on Ebay had increased.  I don't recall seeing anything about a fee increase, and postage increases in January, not before.

This has happened several times, so I know it isn't a fluke.

I recently sold an item with "free shipping" that usually costs a max of $3.86, depending on region of the country.  Yesterday postage for that same item cost $4.26.  

Anyone know what happened?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: QUESTION FOR EBAY SELLERS - POSTAGE?

I know the post office raises rates for the holiday season.  Maybe that is the reason.  

Honored Contributor

The USPS is adding a peak season rate hike this year, which it says will "keep USPS competitive while providing the agency with the revenue to cover extra costs in anticipation of peak-season volume." In a Wednesday statement, the postal service didn't specify which extra costs it is anticipating, although the price of fuel and labor have risen considerably since a year earlier. 

The extra costs will be slapped on packages starting as soon as October 2 — which may strike some as early for holiday shipping — and end on January 22. While the USPS said the price hikes are similar to previous years, the extra shipping costs could add to the financial pressures hitting many families' budgets as inflation remains near a 40-year high, touching everything from gasoline to grocery costs. 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

A few weeks ago I noticed that postage labels purchased on Ebay had increased.  I don't recall seeing anything about a fee increase, and postage increases in January, not before.

I recently sold an item with "free shipping" that usually costs a max of $3.86, depending on region of the country.  Yesterday postage for that same item cost $4.26.  

@Tinkrbl44 

Ebay community board said the Ebay shipping labels went up, not in conjunction with the USPS.  They were giving us a discount so they lowered the discount.

I ship about 90 packages a month so I raised domestic $1 and international $3.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

Ebay community board said the Ebay shipping labels went up, not in conjunction with the USPS.  They were giving us a discount so they lowered the discount.

@rockygems123 

I used to do free shipping for small things, but I guess I will have to adjust this.   I have noticed that free shipping items sell faster, probably because buyers think they are a better deal .... and on some days, I don't have any idea what people think and why they think that.  LOL

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

@rockygems123 

I used to do free shipping for small things, but I guess I will have to adjust this.   I have noticed that free shipping items sell faster, probably because buyers think they are a better deal .... and on some days, I don't have any idea what people think and why they think that.  LOL

@Tinkrbl44 

Yes, the mysteries of ebay lol.  And online commerce in general.  I have sold on ebay since ebay was 9 months old so pretty much forever.

My take on shipping is that if the product is what is wanted in the marketplace and/or marketed well so it appears to be needed lol shipping doesn't seem to dissuade a purchase. 

It's too big of an expense for me to offer free ship especially since shipping materials in additional to USPS fees have gone up.

I recently switched shipping material and save approx $1/package which results in about 1000 - 1200 saved/year. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

PS  If you want small packaging materials suggestions I have some after doing quite a bit of research and customers seem to be really pleased with the changes.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

PS  If you want small packaging materials suggestions I have some after doing quite a bit of research and customers seem to be really pleased with the changes.

@rockygems123 

Yes ....  Very glad to hear suggestions from someone who has made it a business, and has found ways to improve their systems.   Woman Happy

At this point, for me, it would still qualify as a hobby by most.  Jeff Bezos can sleep without worry.