Honored Contributor

Not that I have any need of it, but I'm glad our area is getting back a Toys R Us in a new location, but at least back in town!!

When one of the relatives son was just a little boy, he'd called it Toys 4 Us.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Oh that is good news.  My granddaughter's first overnight sleepover with me when she was three years old that was where we went, the final clearance.  Boy it was really getting cleared out.  But my dear girl found quite a bit to take home even with bare shelves.  No melt downs wanting Mom at all that first night away from home.  Maybe we will get ours back too.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

WHP Global owns Toys R Us. They also own Isaac Mizrahi. They certainly are diverse.

Honored Contributor

We lost ours years ago!

Trusted Contributor

The stores are located inside Macy's, all across the country.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Valued Contributor

Yes, and there is very little inventory

Esteemed Contributor

I miss the old store...

Honored Contributor

An Ollie's (Bargain Outlet) moved into the space where our Toys R Us was.  It's a shame but Toys was rarely busy except in the weeks before Christmas.

Honored Contributor

Specialty brick-and-mortar stores have a very hard time surviving these days. The big brick-and-mortar stores like Walmart and Target will stock the most popular items that sell the most and undercut the specialty store's prices. 

Toys R Us did okay locally but most of the customers seemed to be in the videogame area. They were a preferred retailer for Nintendo for a while and got game consoles first, but now that's Walmart. (Or was the last I checked.) When the GameStop chain (in its assorted names) came along it stole the videogame part of the business from Toys R Us. 

It's hard to be a retailer in specialty items (like toys) these days as you need a big store to stock everything and big stores cost a lot of money to build, equip, and operate. Online retailers can operate out of a garage/warehouse with stuff stacked floor to ceiling at a much lower cost.

Business/property taxes for brick-and-mortar retailers are often very high. Staffing costs just keep going higher with increases in minimum wages and things like health insurance going up more and more. Running a business and making a profit has gotten very, very challenging.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I think we are getting one back too...I used to love taking my babes there, can't imagine littles today scrolling through the internet looking for toys, sad.... bring back the toy stores!!

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it