Honored Contributor

QUESTION ABOUT YOGURT EXP. DATE

I  need some expert advice!

I have 3 Yoplait yogurts in my fridge that I want to eat this week **but* the "Use By" dates are in February 2019.

My instinct says they are fine to use this week. They may have lost a bit of nutritional value but as long as they aren't spoiled I would like to finish them.

I want to stock up this w/end but not until I use these up.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT YOGURT EXP. DATE

@Love my grandkids.  They'll be fine.  As long as they're sealed they'll last a very long time.  I've eaten them as long as a year after the expiration date with no ill effects.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Interesting - I've just finished a half dozen Activia yogurts that were "best by February 21".  I'm still here!

I go by the smell and taste test.  If it smells fine and tastes fine, I eat it.  Otherwise, I'd dump it.  Expiration dates always err on the side of caution.  I remember the days when there weren't any!  You used your own common sense.

Honored Contributor

You can add water and make buttermilk pancakes.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I call it...”Cost-to-Bathroom Ratio”. 📊

Those containers cost probably cost $3-5, at most...compared to the

OMG Where’s the Bathroom! uncomfortable for days. ⚖️

To me, toss.

Honored Contributor

I would eat them.   I just used a block of cream cheese that expired in April 2018; there were absolutely no visible, smell or taste changes to the product.   

Valued Contributor

I don't like to eat anything after the use by/ sell by/ expiration date.  Not worth it to me...I'd rather throw it out than get food poisoning...

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all. After due thought, and with my history of colo-rectal cancer and a subsequent "situation" (now fixed), I've decided to dump them.

I think I'll err on the side of caution.

Respected Contributor

Yogurt should be thrown out 2 weeks after expiration date. It is possible that even closed yogurt can grow bacteria that you cannot taste. Not worth taking the chance. 

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a report on the news about expiration dates  a couple of years ago.These dates are arbitrary.The manufacturer wants the consumer to recycle the food quicker so that they can sell you more of it.

According to the report the consumer should use their common sense. If the item looks normal & doesn’t smell bad you should taste it. If it tastes good then there is no reason not to eat it.

I’m sure your yogurt is fine.Enjoy!!