Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT YOGURT EXP. DATE

I don't make it a habit to eat food past the expiration date. 

I would simply toss them. 

Honored Contributor

What bothers me is how carelessly people let food go to waste in the fridge and just toss it.

That bothers me more than wondering if a day old yogurt is safe to eat.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I will eat a yogurt that is a day or two past the date, anything past that and I throw it away.

Milk gets poured down the drain the day of the sell by date.  I see the date and it automatically tastes bad to me.  I know its mind over matter but it has to go.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

What bothers me is how carelessly people let food go to waste in the fridge and just toss it.

I will admit that I am horrible about this.  Before we left for vacation, I tossed food and told DH we have got to start doing better about not wasting so much food.  

Not only is it a complete waste of money but I think about people who don't have any food and here I am tossing stuff.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I try to waste food.  Sometimes it can't be helped.

I know a lot of people shop once or twice a month.  I  like to go every day or so - for me, it cuts down on food waste. 

Eating yogurt one or two days past the expiration probably would be okay.  I wouldn't eat yogurt 2 months' past the date. 

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkidsI'd eat them, as long as they are sealed.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I know a lot of people shop once or twice a month.  I  like to go every day or so - for me, it cuts down on food waste. 

Eating yogurt one or two days past the expiration probably would be okay.  I wouldn't eat yogurt 2 months' past the date. 

@Bri369   You try to waste food?  LOL  I know what you meant.  Just teasing.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@Bri369   You try to waste food?  LOL  I know what you meant.  Just teasing.

LOL

I try NOT to waste food. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3  It's really easy to do if you have a job and work late a lot, work also at night or on weekends, have kids, have eldely parents, are a single parent, or don't make a big deal of what is in the fridge.

What's in the fridge gets a quick look and toss the night before trash day, but it is really easy for things to get pushed back and forgotten for most people. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I will admit that I am horrible about this.  Before we left for vacation, I tossed food and told DH we have got to start doing better about not wasting so much food.  

Not only is it a complete waste of money but I think about people who don't have any food and here I am tossing stuff.  Smiley Sad

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   Not something to worry about. Your eating it means nothing to who has and doesn't have food. Just donate sometimes to a local food bank.  We can't all plan our lives around the fridge.