Esteemed Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT USPS SHIPPING CHARGES TO QVC

@CalminHeart wrote:

One of the depts I ran at a huge corporation was the incoming and outgoing mail dept. Corporations have contracts with UPS, USPS, and FedEx. They paid about 25% of what you and I pay for USPS. They paid about 20% of what UPS typically charges.

@CalminHeart Oh wow.  Thank you - that is the kind of information I was looking for.  I imagine that UPS, USPS, and Fed Ex all bid for the contract.  I am a bit shocked that QVC and big shippers pay so much less.  So that leads me to two thoughts. 1) Now I see how QVC makes money on postage.  2)  I wonder if the rest of the population, us lowly people, are paying MORE to ship our stuff because they give such a huge discount to the big shippers.  Something just not seem fair about this, but that should not surprise me.  Nothing seems fair to me anymore.  Thanks for the info.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I can't mail an 8.5 x 11 envelope of paperwork for my company for $3.50 just to get across town, let alone a box across country.

If I have to pay a shipping fee, I'll take $3.50.

Many items are coming across country from the Ontario, CA warehouse to me.

You think $3.50 covers that?  I sure don't.  It's almost 3000 miles....realize how many employees and HOW MUCH FUEL it cost to get that to me!  

Sure it is built into the cost of the item, but $3.50 is a bargain.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

One of the depts I ran at a huge corporation was the incoming and outgoing mail dept. Corporations have contracts with UPS, USPS, and FedEx. They paid about 25% of what you and I pay for USPS. They paid about 20% of what UPS typically charges.

@CalminHeart Oh wow.  Thank you - that is the kind of information I was looking for.  I imagine that UPS, USPS, and Fed Ex all bid for the contract.  I am a bit shocked that QVC and big shippers pay so much less.  So that leads me to two thoughts. 1) Now I see how QVC makes money on postage.  2)  I wonder if the rest of the population, us lowly people, are paying MORE to ship our stuff because they give such a huge discount to the big shippers.  Something just not seem fair about this, but that should not surprise me.  Nothing seems fair to me anymore.  Thanks for the info.

One more thought.  So much of what Q and vendors ship is sent by parcel post. That's a whole lot cheaper than 1st class. It's also the slowest and lowest priority mail. Many retailers use 3rd parties to move parcel post mail from place to place. Those 3rd parties aren't going to make a trip if it isn't profitable so things can sit a while. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I can't mail an 8.5 x 11 envelope of paperwork for my company for $3.50 just to get across town, let alone a box across country.

If I have to pay a shipping fee, I'll take $3.50.

Many items are coming across country from the Ontario, CA warehouse to me.

You think $3.50 covers that?  I sure don't.  It's almost 3000 miles....realize how many employees and HOW MUCH FUEL it cost to get that to me!  

Sure it is built into the cost of the item, but $3.50 is a bargain.

@RespectLife I agree with you.  But......as you can read in the post above yours, QVC does not pay the same shipping that the general public does.  They pay a LOT less than that.  So apparently, they do make money on shipping charges, probably both the shipping going out and the shipping on the returns as well.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Oh of course they do @Puppy Lips  !

A big discount.  My previous company we negotiated our shipping deals UPS vs FEDex etc every year and signed contracts.

But it wasn't like we were getting it for free....less than Mrs. Smith, but still a fee by weight AND distance.

$3.50 to me may only be a buck to them, but they are still paying shipping.  I just received an item that shipped from Oregon (direct from the vendor not Q itself)

That is a LONG way to come across the entire country....even at a drastic discount from the $3.50 ...it still would NOT have covered the true cost of the shipping.

Plus, I ordered on free ship days, so even the smaller amount they are charged by the carrier is still a loss for them since none of my items have gone up in price...and some went on sale.