Honored Contributor

Re: Puerto Rico Donations

[ Edited ]

An FYI because some here are unaware of Puerto Rico's contribution to US taxes.

Though the Commonwealth government has its own tax laws, Puerto Ricans are ALSO required to pay most US federal taxes, with the major exception being that most residents do not have to pay the federal personal income tax. In 2009, Puerto Rico paid $3.742 billion into the US Treasury.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I donated $ specifically for Puerto Rico through the charity created by all our living ex-presidents. It was bad enough to see the devastation in Texas and in Florida but at least those victims had places where they could evacuate. Puerto Rico is an island. The people have nowhere to go except the mainland. Those who can afford it and have the strength to wait on endlessly long lines at the airport until they can leave will evacuate. The poor and infirm will be stuck.

I appreciate the media reminding us that Puerto Rico is part of the USA. After a category 5 hurricane assaulted the island,it is cruel to point to their pre-Maria financial and infrastructure problems. No structure c iould survive the power of that storm. Just look at the photos of the Hurricane Andrew aftermath in FL to be reminded of what a powerful hurricane can do. 

the island's financial mismanagement of years past means they cannot borrow to rebuild in the bond markets like well positioned states like FL and TX will do.   this is reality.   how are they to pay for a complete island rebuild? therein lies their challenge. 

it is not necessarily THEIR challenge, but also OUR challenge.

@sunshine45  i was talking of rebuild, not immediate help which of course we extend to a territory. PR would run its own show in a rebuild, of course,  and will have to be creative. perhaps they can work with hotel, restaurant corps on a joint venture to get money.   they still have to unwind their situation of owing billions of dollars in defaults on their municipal bonds.  i am unclear as to whether those bondholders get preference on any money that comes to PR's coffers. not sure there has been a clear settlement. so there are complications. i see that the WH is just picking up the cost of debris removal in an amendment to the disaster declaration,  maybe as a workaround to try to avoid this sticky wicket.   the situation is complicated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Puerto Rico Donations

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

Puerto Ricans pay federal taxes to America.

They deserve the same federal assistance as Texas and Florida. 

@Noel7  their situation is complicated by their bankruptcy which i don't believe has been settled.  Congress has  stayed away from that one and would have to wade in on any direct aid - PR's  situation is different due to their territory status of course -  but not sure of the legalistics of whether bondholders who are owed billions upon billions  have precedence over PR on any money that comes in to PR.  it is complicated. naturally the immediate disaster relief flows because of use of federal agencies which is a separate matter entirely, we just saw that when the WH stepped in yesterday and extended disaster declaration to cover cost of debris removal in a big step to help PR which has no cash. but in the rebuild, it may be more complicated.  we'll have to see.  of course there will be insurance money.  gee i hope they at least had lots of insurance.  

Trusted Contributor

I have heard that a large amt of young people from Puerto Rico serve in our military.  In my mind, these folks are Americans in every sense of the word!

Honored Contributor

Yes, they deserve the same help, the jones little known law about shipping should had been lifted.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I just read that Pit Bull , a musician, who I am not familiar with has his sent his private jet for cancer patients. Wonderful!

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I just read that Pit Bull , a musician, who I am not familiar with has his sent his private jet for cancer patients. Wonderful!

Hi @Nancy Drew

Thanks for the good news.  I've seen Pit Bull perform on TV, he's a rapper.

Here's his photo, I think he always dresses like this:

pit bull

Honored Contributor

Royal Caribbean Cruises (NYSE:RCL), the second largest cruise line operator in the world, told FOX Business that due to the impact of Hurricane Maria, its cancelling its Adventure of the Seas cruises to utilize the ship for EVACUATION AND HUMANITARIAN EFFORTS..

“Adventure will arrive on Wednesday, September 27 and will operate humanitarian calls in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Croix to aid in the evacuation and donate critical supplies to each destination. The ship will bring evacuees to Fort Lauderdale.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Puerto Rico has been losing population since 2000 because of lack of economic opportunity and fiscal problems.  i really wonder how many of the evacuees will end up returning once they leave.  perhaps we should make PR an enterprise zone -  rebuilding is no good if there is no economy ultimately. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Royal Caribbean Cruises (NYSE:RCL), the second largest cruise line operator in the world, told FOX Business that due to the impact of Hurricane Maria, its cancelling its Adventure of the Seas cruises to utilize the ship for EVACUATION AND HUMANITARIAN EFFORTS..

“Adventure will arrive on Wednesday, September 27 and will operate humanitarian calls in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Croix to aid in the evacuation and donate critical supplies to each destination. The ship will bring evacuees to Fort Lauderdale.

Wonderful news @sunshine45  !!!

Thanks for sharing it Smiley Happy