Trusted Contributor

Thank you for this information.  I am just sick about Puerto Rico.

Honored Contributor

@Thisismynickname wrote:

Thank you for this information.  I am just sick about Puerto Rico.

I am guessing the most important job right now is getting the airport completely open so more supplies can be flown in.  

Texas had diapers, baby food and menstrual needs given out, I hope someone is doing that for PR.

Respected Contributor

Re: Puerto Rico Donations

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I donated $ specifically for Puerto Rico through the charity created by all our living ex-presidents. It was bad enough to see the devastation in Texas and in Florida but at least those victims had places where they could evacuate. Puerto Rico is an island. The people have nowhere to go except the mainland. Those who can afford it and have the strength to wait on endlessly long lines at the airport until they can leave will evacuate. The poor and infirm will be stuck.

I appreciate the media reminding us that Puerto Rico is part of the USA. After a category 5 hurricane assaulted the island,it is cruel to point to their pre-Maria financial and infrastructure problems. No structure c iould survive the power of that storm. Just look at the photos of the Hurricane Andrew aftermath in FL to be reminded of what a powerful hurricane can do. 

the island's financial mismanagement of years past means they cannot borrow to rebuild in the bond markets like well positioned states like FL and TX will do.   this is reality.   how are they to pay for a complete island rebuild? therein lies their challenge. 

Honored Contributor

Noel, I want to give you a big thumbs-up for pointing out the media's egregious mediocre coverage of the devastation in Puerto Rico.   You spotted this strange absence and amount of coverage well before the mainstream media started reporting on it late last night and today. 

To be honest, I hadn't yet noticed this lack of coverage of Puerto Rico's devastation until I read your post.  

Bravo! 

As for faulting territories for having weak infrastructures to begin with, and citing that as reason enough to withhold any donations, I say, please reignite your compassion.

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@saltysails wrote:

Puerto Rico is a very corrupt country.  I hope the donations actually get to where they are needed.

@saltysails

puerto rico isnt a "country," it is a US territory.

your comment about donations though is a valid one, but one that could be applied to ANY of the areas affected, not just to puerto rico. i do believe that almost everyone tries to choose their charitable organizations wisely.

Of course you are correct.  Sorry, I was tired and miswrote.  Forgive me, please.

Respected Contributor

@golding76  actually i think that people have said here that it is even more important to help the people of PR because they don't have the resources available to FL and TX in terms of good credit rating, land bridges to other states, etc.  also there has been a major problem getting into PR with airports in shambles and priority given to relief planes, etc. i think that made it hard for press to get in.  spaces at airport have to be vacated before a new plane can come in so if a relief plane is unloading for hours, this makes for a slow process.

Honored Contributor

ms traditional, I was not addressing that sentence to those present on this thread.  I was thinking that if there is anyone out there hesitating to donate because of certain reservations, to please release those reservations and give.

I apologize if I sounded punitive to those who wrote here. 

Respected Contributor

@golding76  i'm with you 100%. !!

these people will need a lot of help over a long time. but i really think everyone is trying hard.

i read there are 10 huge barges being unloaded or waiting to be that are full of supplies.  they were delayed by the need to make the ports passable. now how they get stuff to spots on the island, that is a challenge.  the whole thing is much more difficult than TX and FL. there are 15-20 Coast Guard cutters in use and over 700 FEMA people involved.  the USS Kearsarge is off the coast and lots of Marines are helping  get fuel, supplies, etc in.  i read some good info in Stars and Stripes.

https://www.stripes.com/news/military-conducting-multiple-operations-to-help-hurricane-maria-struck-....  

interesting - the Army Corps of Engineers is working on that dam issue that loomed large the other day. 

looks like people are doing quite a bit - but i expect it feels verrrrrrrry slow to residents.   heard that the federal gov't will pick up the expense of clearing debris which is a nice help to PR since they don't have the cash for that.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Noel, I want to give you a big thumbs-up for pointing out the media's egregious mediocre coverage of the devastation in Puerto Rico.   You spotted this strange absence and amount of coverage well before the mainstream media started reporting on it late last night and today. 

To be honest, I hadn't yet noticed this lack of coverage of Puerto Rico's devastation until I read your post.  

Bravo! 

As for faulting territories for having weak infrastructures to begin with, and citing that as reason enough to withhold any donations, I say, please reignite your compassion.

Thank you @golding76

I kept wondering why we weren't hearing about PR, except that the island had been devastated.

Occasional Contributor
I am in Central Florida, private planes much like Mark Cuban's jet are flying water, diapers, non-perishable food items like peanut butter to Puerto Rico..Another huge cargo shipment leaves this Thursday..In addition, there are plans to charter planes for those folks needing to leave the US territory.I am hearing that unless major league destruction..folks are staying behind. I just had the group in my area pick up 105 pounds of organic peanut butter and hundreds of diapers..about an hour ago.