Honored Contributor

Re: Public Restrooms routines

@sydsgma1wrote:

Those who are not handicapped and choose to use a stall or even worse a parking spot should be ashamed .

You are 100% wrong in your thinking.  The ADA says that handicapped stalls must be available, but they also said that they are not reserved for only handicapped people.  They are there to accommodate people who might need the features that are provided in them.  They also regulate how many a building must have and which buildings must have them.

So, you disagree with the American Disability Act?

Handicapped parking spaces are very different.  It is against the law to park in one unless you have proper documentation to do so..either a place card or a special license plate on your vehicle.

Handicapped Parking places and Handicapped bathroom stalls are not even close to being remotely the same.

Respected Contributor

Unless you are handicapped, you cannot understand. I realize ada does not prohibit the use from none handicapped individuals and often, the changing areas are in the handicapped stall, but it annoys me when there are many stalls open

thank goodness I live in states where the parking spots are monitored.😍

Honored Contributor

I never touch doorknobs on the door in/out of the restroom. At work, there is a foot piece that we can use to open the door so we don't have to touch it.  i wish more places had it.  I always take some toilet paper off the roll and put it in the toilet.  You never know what that fine mist from the last flush sent up to the roll.

We need some germs in order to build antibodies. I think we can try to prevent germs from getting to us but it's never going to work.  Going too far in trying to prevent germs is a waste of time and money.

The two things I do are to use a knuckle to push a buttons on elevators, ATMs, etc, and to never use the palm of my hand on a stairway railing - I'll use the outside of my hand if needed but try to not touch the railin with fingers or palm of my hand.

Valued Contributor

Trust me, you never want e-coli ... to those who think "the germ-a-phobes" are eccentric here, heed the call.

Honored Contributor

Everyone has e-Coli in their intestines and it causes no harm.  Some strains can make you very sick though.  E-Coli is usually passed in food or drink that is contaminated.  

You don’t get it from public restrooms unless you come in contact with it don’t wash your hands. E-coli is injested.  That means you swallow it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

N/A

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

That the ADA does not prohibit the use of the handicap stall by the general public doesn't make using it good manners. It's meant for those who need it and they shouldn't have to wait if they arrive while someone who doesn't need it is occupying it.

There isn't a law requiring one to be considerate but that doesn't excuse those who aren't.

Honored Contributor

Regarding the use of handicapped accessible stalls..anyone who has been to a big theater, knows that the attendants direct patrons to use these stalls when a handicapped person isn't in need of one.  Why should they sit empty,when there is a long line during a short intermission?  

In addition to them being of use to some reasons already mentioned, they're also often used by mothers with small children.  My DIL has to take two little girls to the bathroom with her, and a regular sized stall just won't do. Of course, if she saw a woman in a wheelchair roll in, she'd let her go ahead.  It's all about common sense. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrainwrote:

That the ADA does not prohibit the use of the handicap stall by the general public doesn't make using it good manners. It's meant for those who need it and they shouldn't have to wait if they arrive while someone who doesn't need it is occupying it.

There isn't a law requiring one to be considerate but that doesn't excuse those who aren't.

How can you or anyone else determine who has a handicap and needs to use the stall?  There are many handicapped people out there that can hide their disabilities so that you don’t know.

yes, there are people in wheelchairs and with walkers,  and those who are overweight.  What about those with colostomy bags or IBS?

I use the handicap stalls as do many others.  If it is empty and I have to go, and the lines are long, I’ll pass right by you if you just stand there waiting.

If a woman shows up in a wheelchair after I am in the stall, she can wait her turn.  It is possible that no handicap people will need the restroom and it could sit empty and unused for hours.

My sister is handicapped and it is visible.  She waits her turn to use the restroom, the same as everyone else.  There is no special entitlement to go first for the handicapped in the ladies room.

It is polite to let a handicapped person go first, but not necessary. It is polite to allow a

Pregnant or elderly lady or small dancing children go first too.

Common sense and good manners are a good team. 

Honored Contributor

Doe a pregnant woman with a full bladder qualify for the handicap stall, @occasionalrain?

Do you challenge people if you don’t see an obvious handicap?