Respected Contributor

Re: Proper Interview Attire

[ Edited ]

I'm the last person to wear panty hose in any situation.....except this one.  From what you are telling us, it sounds like a corporate and more conservative environment.  I think you should look as polished as you can, especially considering what you saw and considering you are now meeting the President of the company.

Personally, I don't think anyone will notice if you are wearing the same suit, but if you feel self-conscious about it to the point of it affecting you, then just wear the same jacket over a skirt or dress.

But again, closed toe shoes, hose, and a jacket IMO would be important.  I understand it's hot where you are, but you're presumably going from A/C to A/C.

If you have to question it, I'd err on the side of formality.

Trusted Contributor
I think your right, no one will notice the same jacket. I appreciate all the feedback, I do feel this is an important interview and need to look polished.
Esteemed Contributor

I would dress as conservatively as possible.  Do wear stockings, despite the heat.  Skip the open toe shoes.  They will be assessing not only your skills, but also how you would present yourself to potential clients.  If these men are wearing suits, it tells you something.  Think classic, understated, short nails, light polish, etc.  Just think dull, and you will fit right in.  Good luck to you!

What a great sign to meet the President.  Please let everyone know how it went.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proper Interview Attire

[ Edited ]

I don't think you need to wear a jacket. Out here in Arizona if you showed up wearing a jacket in 110 degree heat you would be a hot mess. Few jobs out here wear jackets any time of the year. As for panty hose, it's also to hot here for those, you would burn your legs getting into the car. Unless you are interviewing for a high up position I would wear pants, nice shoe and a nice shirt. 

Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Do you think it's okay to not wear jacket? Open toed shoes? Panty hose, are they still required?

Proper interview attire depends on the job for which someone is applying.  

Honored Contributor

It really depends on the position and company where you're interviewing. If you're applying for work in a conservative position in a conservative company, like a legal firm, you should dress more tradiationally. If you're interviewing to be a coder at a startup or interviewing for a waitress position, you can be less formal. It also depends on location. I can't imagine anyone wearing pantyhouse in the Texas summer, but if you're in the financial district in New Yotk, it might be a different story.

There's no one right answer, because some places won't like it if you're too casual or too formal, but I'd say better to dress up than down.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I'm the last person to wear panty hose in any situation.....except this one.  From what you are telling us, it sounds like a corporate and more conservative environment.  I think you should look as polished as you can, especially considering what you saw and considering you are now meeting the President of the company.

Personally, I don't think anyone will notice if you are wearing the same suit, but if you feel self-conscious about it to the point of it affecting you, then just wear the same jacket over a skirt or dress.

But again, closed toe shoes, hose, and a jacket IMO would be important.  I understand it's hot where you are, but you're presumably going from A/C to A/C.

If you have to question it, I'd err on the side of formality.

I completely agree with @SaRina. If the men are all wearing suits, you are going to be expected to dress in the same manner. That doesn't necessarily mean wearing suits everyday. You can wear a blazer, a vest over a crisp blouse/shirt, and when the weather is cooler sweater sets are an option. For your interview, if you are concerned about wearing the hose, arrive early and go to the restroom and put them on just before your meeting. You could also do the same thing with a pair of pumps. Just a thought: If you are not comfortable "dressing up" everyday, this may not be the company for you. Good luck with your job search.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

I agree that if they're all in suits, you should likewise ignore your weather-related concerns and discomfort. I think wearing the same jacket is fine, even the same pants if you wear something else underneath. I'd say hose or knee-highs and closed-toe shoes are your best bet. In a conservative, corporate environment, nobody is going to notice that, which is what you're going for. IF they thought bare legs/feet or no jacket were too dressed down, they'd definitely notice that, and it wouldn't be worth the risk to me. They probably won't notice or care either way, since they work with all men, but why chance it?

Esteemed Contributor

You cannot go wrong with a skirt with a blouse or a dress.  I don't think anyone wears hose anymore.

Trusted Contributor

@NativeJax----It is never inappropriate to dress in the manner of a ladylike business woman. This includes nylons and proper shoes. Do you remember the way women used to dress? It doesn't if it hot, the men are suits, shirts and ties!  Just dress as if you are starting the job the same day after the great interview with the President!   Relax, smile and let us know-----tedEbear