Frequent Contributor

I cook with this once a week, and noticed what looked like congealed chicken fat when I poured some out. I did not ever think of fish anything, did it smell like fish to you? I preceded to cook with the product as well as eat afterwards and I  am still here alive and well, so I feel comfortable with using the product.

Respected Contributor

@share wrote:

I cook with this once a week, and noticed what looked like congealed chicken fat when I poured some out. I did not ever think of fish anything, did it smell like fish to you? I preceded to cook with the product as well as eat afterwards and I  am still here alive and well, so I feel comfortable with using the product.

I agree.  I've used College Inn and Swanson chicken broth and have seen congealed chicken fat in it.  If you refrigerate it, it will congeal even more.  Leave an open carton in the fridge for more than a few days and you can get mold. 

Respected Contributor

If Ford says it was fish skin, why would anyone question that it was fish skin ? 

She impresses me as a bright, aware woman .......I think if it was mold she would know ........

I would call the 800 number .

Honored Contributor

I opened a can of stewed tomatoes once and there was one of those huge green tomato worms floating on the top.  I froze the can and presented it to the Safeway manager on my next trip.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor
How in the world did fish skin get in chicken broth? Last time I checked chickens had feathers. lol!
Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

If Ford says it was fish skin, why would anyone question that it was fish skin ? 

She impresses me as a bright, aware woman .......I think if it was mold she would know ........

I would call the 800 number .

Because it was CHICKEN broth and there was probably no fish used in the process.  Mold floating on a liquid like broth looks like fish skin.  If this never happened to her before, it was not in the realm of her experience, so she could easily have been mistaken.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

There's no way fish skin can get into chicken broth. Chicken broth in containers should be used within 3-4 days. It says so right on the box.

Respected Contributor

My advice:   call Progresso and report the problem.  If you have a product number on the package, give them that information.  They should definitely be told.  Did you save the packaging?

Valued Contributor

Absolutely right! You must use up the contents within seven days of opening. Says so right on the box, as well as on Kitchen Basics containers. I often freeze what I don't use immediately. Don't blame the company because you didn't read and heed the directions.

Esteemed Contributor

Fish skin?  Are you sure it wasn't thin chicken skin?