Honored Contributor

pice = piece

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I agree  with those who've already mentioned that the opened box of broth probably was kept well beyond any manufacturer's  recommended time limit for storing and reusing.

I've thrown out so many opened broth boxes that I now only buy broth in smaller cans that can be used up as soon as they're opened.

Respected Contributor

Re: Product warning

[ Edited ]

Sounds more like part of it congealed into a slime like substance.

although, I opened a new container of heavy whipping cream last week and it came out in a big clump. Grossed me out. 

Respected Contributor

I also think it was ruined after being opened & kept for too long.  I know these are convenience items & I use them, too, but it's probably better to make your own stock & freeze it into manageable portions.  It really doesn't take that long & the veggies don't even have to be chopped up any further than to fit into the pot.

Respected Contributor

when i was a kid we had a box of Rice Chex cereal, my father poured into the bowl  a piece of metal the size of a postage stamp embossed with the "Checkerboard grid"  .  Just like a metal die-cast item.  Gag.  lucky my Dad caught it. They used be made at Checker Board Square, someplace in NJ we would see the red and white checks from the Turnpike

don't know what happened with that one, if letters were written ? but we later did have some Pepperidge Farm cookies that were moldy. one of the 'rents wrote a letter.  The company sent a huge tin of assorted PF cookies with their apologies.

Honored Contributor

It is posted on the box to use the opened product in a certain number of days. I think several weeks is to long. I think it went bad.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

fish skin? it sounds more like mold to me.

if you opened that box of broth several weeks ago i would not be surprised if it had grown mold, even being in the refrigerator.

I bought it several weeks ago.  I opened it last week and put it in the fridge.  My daughter looked at it too.  It was not mold, it was a piece of fish skin.  It was floating around in the bowl, not attached to the box at all. How fish skin can get into chicken broth I do not know, unless they don't clean their cooking pots at the factory as they go from prep to prep.

I'll probably just throw this unopened one away after I open it to see what's in it.  Not worth the agg.

Thanks everyone.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Eewh!!! Since you already ate a soup dish using it you did already consume some of it. I would have thrown up.  I have been using Better Than Bouillon.

I've always used either boullion cubes or powdered boullion.  I have also used Better than Boullion, but have found it to be very salty.  I think I'll stick to cubes from now on.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

I also think it was ruined after being opened & kept for too long.  I know these are convenience items & I use them, too, but it's probably better to make your own stock & freeze it into manageable portions.  It really doesn't take that long & the veggies don't even have to be chopped up any further than to fit into the pot.

Unfortunately, although I used to cook like that, I can no longer do so.  Anything I prepare has to take less than five minutes of me standing at the stove.  I cannot cut, chop, slice, etc. anymore, let alone handle a carcass to make stock.  I miss those days, believe me.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I support the mold idea completely -  although I would call Progresso or email them.  I know they answer their email because I've used their website for that pirpose.

An aside, please -- we all need to remember that use by dates are for unopened packages of any food.  Once you open anything -  soup, cheese, meat, whatever, you introduce all kinds of contaminants from the air in your house or you allow anything in the container already to grow.  A few days is usually all you get befoire there's a problem.