Honored Contributor

Several weeks ago I bought two boxes of Progresso Chicken Broth.  I used half of one box and put it in the fridge.  Yesterday I went to use it again.  Fortunately I poured it into a bowl instead of directly into the pot on the stove.  I almost hurled at what I saw.  There was an inch and a half long piece of fish skin in the broth.  I emptied the bowl immediately into the garbage disposal.  Thing is, as I said, I had already used half of that box in a soup dish the week prior, but just poured it into the pot with the rest of the ingredients.  It makes me nauseous to think I could have eaten it.

I have the other box still unopened and am not sure what to do with it (I'm certainly not going to use it).  Of course it could have nothing in it so I'm afraid if I bring it to the store opened, they won't believe what I say was in the other box.  I would want them to open it right there themselves.  

It's not that I want a refund, it's that I want Progresso to know what's in their "chicken" broth!!

I'm not sure what to do.  Any suggestions?  Image result for peanuts characters

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I'm betting Progresso has a website.  Google and see and tell them your awful tale.  They'll probably send you some coupons for more of the same.

I'd more use bouillion cubes, hopefully nothing hiding in these as they're pretty small.

Honored Contributor

fish skin? it sounds more like mold to me.

if you opened that box of broth several weeks ago i would not be surprised if it had grown mold, even being in the refrigerator.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

There should be a contact number on the product, or you can check Progresso's customer service information online. You should tell the company what happened. They'll ask you for all the information you can find on the packaging and where you bought it. They'll likely send you a bunch of coupons but I don't know if you'd want to eat anything by Progresso after what happened.

Honored Contributor

I would inform Progresso.

Honored Contributor

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/16777

this says keep opened chicken broth or stock in your refrigerator for 4-5 days........

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Eewh!!! Since you already ate a soup dish using it you did already consume some of it. I would have thrown up.  I have been using Better Than Bouillon.

Respected Contributor

it was likely mold. those boxes of broth should be used within 7 days. i haven't used Progresso brand. i usually use Kitchen Basics low salt.

do you use facebook?  post your findings  it on Progresso's FB page

Honored Contributor

There has only been one time where I made a huge stink about something like this and that was when my oldest son was a toddler.  I had opened a carton of Weight Watchers Ice Cream and was spooning myself and him a little taste.  Luckily the pice of GLASS was on MY SPOON!  I couldn't believe my eyes~!  It was a piece of green opaque glass like it was from a Coca-Cola bottle.  I was FURIOUS and sent them the piece of glass with a very angry letter saying I would NEVER buy their product again.

I received a letter with a copious amount of free coupons and their "apology"  stating they have stringent standards at their factory and can't understand how this could have happened and was I sure I HADN'T broken a green glass in my own kitchen?  I then wrote to the President of the company with a copy of that letter and exactly what I thought of their customer service stating it was OBVIOUSLY a pice of glass belonging to a coca-cola bottle and not from my own kitchen as I didn't even own anything green, glass or otherwise (I was a proud owner of Corelle)....

This particular product eventually went off the market and I can understand why.

As to your problem, I would definitely complain to their customer service department about it (loudly).... that it was so gross (and it sounds nauseating) that you can't even look at their product again....  

BTW, keep the packaging so you can give them the product code (gives thm an idea which factory and where) this occurred...

Good luck....  yuck.... Woman Tongue

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

fish skin? it sounds more like mold to me.

if you opened that box of broth several weeks ago i would not be surprised if it had grown mold, even being in the refrigerator.

I agree. Several weeks to far too long to keep an opened box of broth. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____