Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Problem Student on University Campus

I'm going to get a little personal, but I really would like your advice.

There is a student at DS' university. He dropped out in his senior year (this past year). As alumni, both of his parents are very active there. The past week he has been going around saying something big is coming and things like, "you have no idea what's going to happen."

DS knew him. He dated one of DS' good friends their freshman and sophomore years. She broke up with him. She graduated last year and works in another state. DS saw him from time to time, but they were not friends and weren't in the same department. 

A few days ago he apparently stalked a girl DS knows and was banned from campus. Last night DS was in a study group that was meeting at someone's apartment. They moved the meeting on campus to be safer because they knew he was banned. He walked in - while they were meeting, and started making more vague threats.

One of the girls left and called the police. They came and questioned him for about 20 minutes and let him go home. They then told the students there was nothing they could do because he hadn't "done" anything. And the ban from campus had not gone into full effect yet because it has to be approved by the chief of police.

The kids are in the middle of finals. DS can't concentrate, and the news last night didn't help. He said he didn't sleep all night. He lives off campus. 

I don't know what to tell him. The police are very aware of the situation, and I'm sure the university is watching things carefully too. 

I'd like to think this is just a kid trying to get attention, but with everything going on, how do you know? I keep telling myself his parents are very connected to the university and to the whole community. 

Do you think I should contact the university, or just let the police handle things?

Respected Contributor

Re: Problem Student on University Campus

[ Edited ]

I'd not only contact the university (from the top down), "remind" the police force and then contact your local TV stations about what's not being done.

eta:  How about also contacting  his parents:  Add local and state politicians and anyone else you can think of.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

If the university is watching things and the police have been notified then what would you notify the university?

Seems both are aware of this situation by what you have posted.

I understand your concern so do what you think is best.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I would definitely contact the university.  I don't care whether or not they know or care what's going on.  Your son is on that campus and has had some contact with him.  Nothing wrong with letting them know you are very concerned.

The fact that his parents are very involved/active with the school tells me this situation may just be blown off.

I would remind the police too.  I know they can't do anything about him saying "you'll see", but as we've seen the last week, stranger things have happened.

Esteemed Contributor

If it were me, I think I would contact the school and tell them of my concerns. I'm sorry, but we can't be too careful in times like these. I wonder if this young mans parents know of his activities, and what I will call his veiled threats?

Every week there seems to be another school shooting. Why, why, would anyone mentally healthy make a veiled threat this day in age? I feel for those kids trying to study in this situation.

I'd be so upset if I were you.

Respected Contributor

How did he know where the study group had moved its meeting?

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

Safety, health and welfare are always the priority. 

Your responsibility is to inform the school your son and his friends do not feel safe and the school must take action immediately.

Call as many contacts as you believe are necessary to fully alert all to this issue.

The student has dropped out right before finishing school, so may have multiple issues such as depression, hopelessness, and anger, especially with the girlfirend break-up. Because his parents have "connections," the student may feel he can not live up to their ideals

The fact that the student is making verbal threats everywhere is a huge warning flag.

The fact that the police "are aware" does not necessarily mean that anyone is any safer.

The mental health clinic of the school should meet with this student and his family as soon as possible.

Addtionally, you should advise your son and friends to not attend any gatherings which could be accessible to this individual.  

I regret that your family must go through this diifficult experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Since your son and the others aware of this individual feel he could be a threat to the university their suspicions should be reported to the FBI as a possible terroristic threat. 

You can find the information for the appropriate field office here:  https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Since your son and the others aware of this individual feel he could be a threat to the university their suspicions should be reported to the FBI as a possible terroristic threat. 

You can find the information for the appropriate field office here:  https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices

I agree. I feel confident that the FBI will take this threat more seriously than the university.  

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom YES! Were it me, I'd be rattling EVERY single chain I could think of!  Report it vehemently to the school, "bother" the police, try to contact the chief to get him to OK the ban, go to the local press and local TV.

There was another school shooting just this week. I'd be putting the "active" in pro-active, you darn right I would!

Contact the local office of the FBI as someone else stated.