Honored Contributor

Re: Problem Student on University Campus

@beach-mom 

Absolutely, I would call everyone I could think of Starting with a Brief Courtesy Call to his Parents.  I would tell them exactly what your plans are.  No negotiating, no waiting for them to 'do something', or 'take care of this'.

Then I would call the city police, the State Bureau of Investigation, and The FBI.  I would zip right on past the Campus Cops, because in my mind they have already dropped the ball, but do let the other authorities know that they have been notified.

I send you All Best Wishes for the Safety of your DS.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom , is it possible to move your DS temporarily on campus for the short time that is left in the school year?  That would be my first move.  If the offender is banned from the school that may give your son a better feeling of more security.  

Then I would be getting into it with school officials and police.  Also consider contact political representatives in the area.  I would complain loud and long and do so verbally and in writing.  Keep the pressure on til school is over.  Good luck.  It is hard to have such concerns playing on your mind.  

Also, if you feel it is a legitimate concern, investigate your DS finishing academic requirements remotely from your home or somewhere else you deem to be a safe location.

LM

Honored Contributor

Do what makes you comfortable. I think it  is so vaguely worded, he is being cagey. He might not have any violent acts in mind, just an attempt to scare people

I would contact the  university president first.

Depending on what he said , the FBI might already be involved. It is a crime to make threats on social media..I am not sure if what he did is in the same category, but he needs to be watched

Even if he is banned it doesn't mean he won't enter the campus.

It might be one of those grey areas where the police have their hands tied, because he didn't  actually threaten violence

Good luck

Honored Contributor

Call the police!  A lot of shooters give these kind of clues ahead of time.

Esteemed Contributor

All schools now have procedures for reporting and handling these situations.  Sounds like everyone involved has been reporting and this guy is likely being watched and investigated.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I would call the local FBI office asap. He sounds very dangerous. Better safe than sorry.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I were in your shoes, I would contact the university President,  local news outlets, state and congressional representatives, the FBI and even higher up.

This is a very scary situation. 

ETA: wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.

Respected Contributor

I’m confused 

You just said the police and university are very aware of the situation. And you’re asking if you should call the police and the university to notify them of the situation?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scatcat  I think she needs reassurance, and it is up to the university to supply it.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@scatcat  I think she needs reassurance, and it is up to the university to supply it.

The University nor the police are going to compromise any investigation by providing any details.

The best you will get is "we are aware of the situation".  She already knows that.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.