Respected Contributor

Re: Pretty sure this is a scam...

I always google the number and most people will tell you they got that too and it's a scam. 

Honored Contributor

It's a scam....that's a no brainer.  

Honored Contributor

@Julie928,  Yes, it has happened to me and more than once.  So much for anti-virus software.  Shut off your computer immediately.  A sales associate at Best Buy told me that you will never receive Pop Ups from Windows, Microsoft, etc.  Today you have no privacy at all and it's scary thanks to computer technology.  So while it's good for a lot of things, it can be harmful with credit card fraud, banking fraud, etc.  I never let a website keep my credit card no. and wish QVC would give you that option.  Yes, they do but then they keep your card nos. again.  Cat Mad

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

IT'S A SCAM. RUN away from it.  It happened to my sister about six months ago and it shut her computer completely DOWN.  My niece knew someone in the "tech" business and had it fixed for her.  She didn't have any personal information on the computer thank goodness, so that was okay but it infected her computer with a bad virus.  She learned her lesson.

Honored Contributor

Yep big ole scam!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

After turning on my computer this afternoon a popup appeared stating I need to call an 877 number immediately as my computer has been infected with a virus.  The popup stated that all my information will be sent to remote hackers (facebook account info, credit cards, photos, etc) if I close the window or attempt to restart my computer.  The popup claims to be from Microsoft.  I didn't call any number and clearly can use my computer since I'm typing this right now.  Have any of you had this happen recently?

@Julie928

I received something very similar a couple of months ago.  It said my computer was infected which in turn could infect their whole system, and they were the only ones who could fix it, so "click here."  I recognized it as a malware file which had somehow gotten into my Malwarebytes program.

I immediately pulled the electric plug from the back of my computer.  There is nothing anyone can do if your computer is totally disconnected.  I waited a while and then gingerly reconnected.  I immediately deleted my Malwarebytes program, and ran a full scan via Kasperky.  I may reinstall it again someday.  I never saw any warnings about it so it must have been caught right away.  However, for now, I don't trust it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

NEVER respond to anything on ur computer or email - period!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course they're SCAMS!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I like Macs better then Windows because they don't try to hog your pc and put in junk they think you should have and take control .

Macs, all I get is rare updates, you go to update page and update it your done.  With Windows 10 , now, they're bugging you about putting in this Windows Creator 10 business for gaming and bunch of other young activities that the seniors don't give a rip about. I just go to control panel and delete it there, yes, it comes back, but, I like the idea of deleting it every time it does.

I wish Macs would have a 'refresh' button my main gripe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It happened to me too recently and I was using the Edge which is constantly advertising that it is more secure than Chrome.

Also, I had just installed Malwarebytes and had their latest download but was having problems with it. It siginificantly slowed some programs on my computer and was blocking things left and right that Webroot never did, so I temporarily turned it off.

While catching up with my reading of the news still using Edge, I got that "Microsoft" directive. I still had control of my mouse and so like I instructed others about a month ago when this topic came up, I right clicked my taskbar and then clicked on Task Manager, chose Edge and then selected End Task. It was gone. Next, I restarted my computer and Malwarebytes automatically turns on again so I ran a scan and there were 4 PUP programs it had quranatined. I have no idea what the outcome would have been if I hadn't turned off Mawarebytes but believe me it is acting quirky and very disruptive. 

BTW....my Webroot program did not popup when I got that scam.  Very disappointed in it too. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get those all the time. Shut computer down RIGHT AWAY!!! turn it on again, run an anti virus proigram if you have one. If need be go to a earlier restore point.  I stream alot and I have been lucky that not had problems. My poor wife, did end up getting a ransom virus to where it actually hi jacked her own laptop. Luckily, I was able to go in and restore it through some careful registry work. One time she actually gets a virus and its a doosy. I always tease her about going to the naughty websites...LOL!!