Honored Contributor

Re: Pretty sure this is a scam...

[ Edited ]

I sure appreciate the info re: the FTC site.  I'm all signed up for scam alerts.  Lots of interesting and helpful information on their site, too.  Excellent, as a matter of fact.  'Gee',  some of us (I/me/myself) haven't been aware of various helpful and informative gov. sites. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

An elderly neighbor of mine did and she didn't realize it's a scam.  They hijack your computer and demand $$$ to release it. 

She ended up taking the computer to geek squad to restore everything. because she didn't realize you need to periodically back up stuff on a flash drive.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several months ago, rec'd robocall where the caller said he was calling about a problem w/my computer.  I replied, "that's interesting, b/c I don't own one."

I also keep getting robocalls from ppl claiming to be IRS agents, you ditched jury duty, you have outstanding parking tickets, etc. who want to paid via GreenDot card.

Honored Contributor

Scary but it is a scam.  I've had it happen.  Also get phone calls from Microsoft saying my computer has been infected/has a problem.  I just say I no longer own the computer and hang up.    My computer "repair" system said there is no way they would be calling you about this type of thing.  I do the same as others have suggested when I get the pop-up.