Honored Contributor

Re: Postage increase

[ Edited ]

We bought a roll of forever stamps at Costco. I hardly ever use them unless I am sending a card to someone, but DH loves snail mail to pay bills. Could make even fewer people send Christmas cards in the future....

Trusted Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

In the realm of things, five cents isn't bad.  Having said that, it's probably not going toward things that impact customers.  It will end up driving more customers to pay bills online.

I planned ahead and bought a couple extra books of stamps.  That should last a long while.

It will end up driving more customers to pay bills online.

That's exactly what I planned on doing if it went over 50 cents.  Same thing with my favorite ice cream which I eat year round.  That reached my limit too both for cost and principle.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

My husband and I were just talking about how hard it is to deliver the mail. You are out in all weathers. It can be dangerous with dogs etc

Just yesterday, Mr Cherry was telling me a guy, in a truck, delivering mail to the boxes ,on the side of the road ,was rear ended  ,and wound up in a field.

Of all the things my taxes go for, this is something that benefits me, every single day

I never begrudge a postal raise. I think it is money well spent

Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately, the USPS should have increased prices substantially a long time ago.  Even with the increase, it will be tough for it to make ends meet.  But could the sweetheart deal with Amazon be re-negotiated?  The USPS loses money, as I understand it, on every Amazon delivery.  FYI only:  FedEx has also increased its prices.  An overnight letter delivery used to be in the $25 range.  It is now nearly double that.  Everything costs money. 

Esteemed Contributor

You can also buy stamps at Costco - at a discount.

Valued Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

Unfortunately, the USPS should have increased prices substantially a long time ago.  Even with the increase, it will be tough for it to make ends meet.  But could the sweetheart deal with Amazon be re-negotiated?  The USPS loses money, as I understand it, on every Amazon delivery.  FYI only:  FedEx has also increased its prices.  An overnight letter delivery used to be in the $25 range.  It is now nearly double that.  Everything costs money. 

while i haven't read the contract, i'm almost sure that it could not be re-negotiated until the contract is set to expire. i only recall one person saying that they are losing money on every amazon package and they don't work for the post office and don't have any sense of what things should and should not cost.

whether it's a fair deal or not, both sides signed it. i suspect that since the number of pieces that the post office receives has been declining for at least a decade, they are looking to gain piece count, rather then immediate profit, if that makes sense. and hopes that going forward, that will grow and will be able to charge more.

fed-ex for sure and ups probably don't want the bulk of amazon's business, because it is tedious and only growing day by day.

what is interesting is that amazon is still buying aircraft, and hiring independent people to deliver packages. haven't heard how the latter is going. their goal seems to not rely so much on the post office and other carriers to get their orders delivered.

just my thoughts

Honored Contributor

Since I don’t expect to be able to get to the post office this week, I just ordered more stamps online.   

Honored Contributor

Just a reminder that postage increases tomorrow, the 27th.

So if you want to buy stamps before the increase, today is your day!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I stocked up on forever stamps before the increase.

Honored Contributor

Re: Postage increase

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I've been stocking up for several weeks on stamps, getting some each payday. I like to have at least 100 on hand, but will be building up after running almost totally out. I am going to go through my budget book, and try and figure out an approximate number of stamps we use in a year, and try to get two years worth. We'll see. 

I have just gotten some of the first responders stamps. My dad was a police officer, so I love those!

@Mominohio

Wow ..... these days,  if I mail one snail mail envelope a month, that' s a lot for me .... other than a dozen Christmas cards each year.   Do you send a lot of cards?