Honored Contributor

Re: Post your etiquette rules below!

If you borrow something, return it back in the same condition you received it.

Shakespeare got it right in Hamlet-- Polonius talking to his son Laertes:

POLONIUS
Yet here, Laertes? Aboard, aboard, for shame!
The wind sits in the shoulder of your sail
And you are stayed for. There, my blessing with thee.
And these few precepts in thy memory
Look thou character. Give thy thoughts no tongue,
Nor any unproportioned thought his act.
Be thou familiar but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel,
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatched, unfledged comrade. Beware
Of entrance to a quarrel, but being in,
Bear ’t that th' opposèd may beware of thee.
Give every man thy ear but few thy voice.
Take each man’s censure but reserve thy judgment.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not expressed in fancy—rich, not gaudy,
For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell. My blessing season this in thee.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

@Newgate wrote:

I really get annoyed with people who talk so much that they won't let you have your turn!  It is hard for me to understand that they don't notice that about themselves!  We were with a person like that last night at a church dinner!  I am sure his food was very cold when he finally ate it!!Woman Frustrated

I think if a person talks incessantly they must think they are pretty important and self-involved; therefore they would not notice this about themselves.

Are you sure it is not the opposite, that they have low self-esteem is the reason for the loquaciousness.

Honored Contributor

Yes, IA, Mellie.  Leaving a child's life/upbringing in the hands of schools, gov, or anything else is not a good idea.  Best to take charge at home, if the parents and family are decent people, of course. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

@Newgate wrote:

I really get annoyed with people who talk so much that they won't let you have your turn!  It is hard for me to understand that they don't notice that about themselves!  We were with a person like that last night at a church dinner!  I am sure his food was very cold when he finally ate it!!Woman Frustrated

I think if a person talks incessantly they must think they are pretty important and self-involved; therefore they would not notice this about themselves.

Are you sure it is not the opposite, that they have low self-esteem is the reason for the loquaciousness.

Of course it's possible.  However, that would be if they are talking about themselves (my opinion).  My father definitely was just gregarious and he was far from having no self esteem.  He was a LEO (gregarious by nature).

It could be a lot of other things too.  One other explanation could be loneliness.  To automatically assume someone is self absorbed because they talk a lot is a stretch.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

Men --- no one wants to see you spit.  Go to the bathroom and do it.  I dated a guy once who spit on the parking lot the second we got out of the car to go in to eat.  I was like................................................*stunned, ew face*................................................................ 

That reminds me of a scene from "The Bird Cage", a movie with Robin Williams ad Nathan Lane.  Robbin Williams character is trying to teach Nathan Lanes character how to be masculine. Albeit it's disgusting, it's one of the funniest scenes of the movie.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

@Newgate wrote:

I'm not sure about much of anything.  And there are different reasons for sure.  Just saying what I think.  I have low self-esteem and I don't talk about myself at all.  I don't feel I'm that interesting or important. 

Trusted Contributor

@sparklestee
Of course your important and interesting! thats a terrible opinion you have about yourself. You need to write a list of things you find interesting and start conversations around some of your interest off the list. Don't say your not important because you are!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sparkles:  If you don't 'feel' as though you are interesting, try making a list of things to do or visit on your days off from work, etc.  Then, each week, make it a point to actually do those things.  Visit a museum, attend an event, etc.  Even if it's for a half hour at a time, or even just walk in and walk out ten minutes later.  So when you are with other people later on, you can 'mention' your visit to the museum, or whatever else, and you'll have something interesting to talk about.  Feel free to 'elaborate' ('embellish').  Many people do elaborate/'embellish', (sometimes even brag), in order to seem more 'interesting'.   It's sort of an advertising sales tactic, in many ways.  Lots of good luck!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

No trolling social media, pretending to be someone you're not.  

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

No trolling social media, pretending to be someone you're not.  

No smoking outside the entrances of businesses.

No volunteering TMI!

(edit)

No volunteering TMI!

(edit)

I see the complaints about no smoking outside entrances of businesses. I don't smoke myself but I am wondering why this is such a problem. For example employees who smoke can't smoke inside because that is the new public rule but they shouldn't be able to smoke outside either on their break because someone else doesn't like it? As long as the smoker doesn't exhale on someone else I don't see how its a problem. It seems these days that people don't understand how to mind their business and go about their own lives and let others live theirs.