Honored Contributor

I wanted to post this here instead of Pet Lovers to make sure as many people see this as possible as some of the brands involved are well known:

http://people.com/pets/dog-food-recall-euthanasia-drug/?utm_campaign=peoplemagazine&utm_source=twitt...

Honored Contributor

Re: Popular Dog Foods Recalled

[ Edited ]

I have to say this is a concern.  

Can only think of one way for phenobarbital to be in there.

😭

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Occasional Contributor

How sad that some sick person did this! There's no reason for phenobarbitol to be near or in the plant! Cat Sad

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is very sad and scary! Looks like all of the recalled dog food brands are on the 'below average' quality list from Dog Food Advisor earning just 1 star out of 5. The companies claim to be made in the USA, but their ingredients are imported.  I hope no animals suffer from this. It's not the first time this drug has been found in dog food.

Respected Contributor

@Drythewrote:

😭

The attached link read: pentobarbital.  Neither drug should be in dog food.  It's a crying shame.  

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Katewrote:

@Drythewrote:

😭

The attached link read: pentobarbital.  Neither drug should be in dog food.  It's a crying shame.  

@Sunshine Kate  It is most likely coming from horse meat....named as BEEF on the label. It is illegal to put horse meat in pet food....but.....

see this article:

https://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/6292-drug-and-horse-meat-in-evangers-dog-food-still-a-myste...

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe  Thanks so much for posting this information.  Luckily, we don't use dog food products from any of those brands, but I think my daughter does.

I am on the email list for Dog Food Advisor, and haven't received any notice about this at all.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I have been hearing this rumor for dog food but I really don't think People Magazine is a reputable magazine for us to believe "truthful" news. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2wrote:

I have been hearing this rumor for dog food but I really don't think People Magazine is a reputable magazine for us to believe "truthful" news. 

@ID2   This is true.  I got a notice about this from the FDA  and Dog Food Advisor.

Dear Fellow Dog Lover,

Because you signed up on our website and asked to be notified, I'm sending you this special recall alert. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of this message.

J. M. Smucker has announced it is voluntarily withdrawing multiple dog food brands due to the presence of the drug pentobarbital.

To learn which products are affected, please visit the following link:

Smucker Withdraws Multiple Dog Food Brands

Please share the news of this alert with other pet owners.

Mike Sagman, Editor
The Dog Food Advisor

P.S. Not already on our dog food recall notification list yet? Sign up to get critical dog food recall alerts sent to you by email. There's no cost for this service.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

You can choose to believe it or not because you don't like the source of the information, but Smuckers which owns some of these foods is voluntarily recalling them.