Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

This was discussed so many times here and also on the News. I hope by now everyone knows about it.

I was wondering why a Debit Card, but if the IRS has no banking information for you, they assume you don´t have an account, so with a Debit Card you can still do your shopping, where as with a Check, you might not be able to cash it without paying a great fee at a Check Cashing Store.

Ok, I´ll keep on believing that lol.

I think that was reason behind it.  We have bank accounts, several of them.  But we didn't want the IRS to more then they have to about you.  The less the IRS knows about you, the better.  And about the mail that looks like junk mail.  Two edge sword about that.  Ideal if you want to send something with money, but again some people would have shred it too.  

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

WHY do people assume that everyone has TV and sees "the news"? In most places, having "the news" costs money, so some people won't. I haven't had TV in many years and only take the NYTimes online, and have seen nothing about these cards there.

The official line was direct deposit or mailed check. No third method.

The plain envelope, a name that itself sounds fake (" Money Network Cardholders Services"), lack of a letter before the fact alerting people to watch the mail, etc. is leading to this confusion. It's no fault of the OP's that she didn't have the facts.

Yes.  I agree.  The IRS did not advertise it at all.  I only found out about the return address by reading twitter!  LOL.  Then I googled it, and suddenly there all over the Internet was what that cardholder service meant!  Oh and I only found out about the debit card deal though this forum!!!!!  So thank you everyone.

Valued Contributor

you need to occasionally watch the news ...  

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a grift to siphon some of the stimulus money to the gift debit card vendor.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TAKE THE DEBIT CARD TO YOUR BANK AND THEY WILL TRANSFER THE MONEY INTO YOUR ACCOUNT. EASY