Esteemed Contributor

@songbird : I'm with your DH regarding how much info I share with the IRS.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann  I would assume that most people without a TV would get there News on Line. Mine pops over on my phone and I prefer that.

Sometimes they keep writing the same thing over and over until I get tired of seeing it.

Ok the Forums are a perfect place to get all the News you can read even though sometimes it might be a little bit off lol.

Respected Contributor

When you get a new Debit or Credit Card it´s all in a plain envelope. They don´t advertise it.  It would take a genius to get your card and activate it unless they have your information.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@noodleann  I would assume that most people without a TV would get there News on Line. Mine pops over on my phone and I prefer that.

Sometimes they keep writing the same thing over and over until I get tired of seeing it.

Ok the Forums are a perfect place to get all the News you can read even though sometimes it might be a little bit off lol.

@Sage04   I agree that there are ways to get news. 

My issue is calling the police.   They may say the card is legit but they are about as reliable a source as this forum.

Nobody is faulting the OP but asking here when nobody has seen her card, how it arrived, what letter was included-who can give her a serious answer???

Let's face it-some just do not pay attention to what is going on in the world and that is the point; access is available through many sources unless one lives in a treehouse in Alaska.

""Out beyond the ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there." -Rumi
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  I saw that also and my first thought was why the Police especially now that they  have so much going on. I know not everyone has heard of the Debit Card but at lease read the information that comes with it.

Some people call a Debit Card, Credit Card especially with the Visa or Mastercard logo printed on it but it would also say Debit Card.

Respected Contributor

Re: Please Someone Help

[ Edited ]

OP probably called the police because they were concerned about possible identity theft or other criminal activity.  Hopefully they didn't call 911.  The cards were sent out to help speed up the payment process for those who didn't have banking information on file with the IRS.  

My FIL did not have info on file with the IRS, but receives his SS through direct deposit.  He had not received his stimulus payment so we entered his information on the non-filers portal even though the government said we didn't need to.  A couple of weeks after we did, his payment was directly deposited to his account.

Trusted Contributor

The debit card can be used by anyone, which makes it a good idea for a payment like this. Keep in mind that there are a LOT of people who don't have bank accounts these days. In many cses, though not all, these are the people who need the payment the most. So not only does direct deposit not work, but it's hard to cash any kind of check without a bank, especially without paying fees. 

I agree that it's been a very confusing and inept way to handle these payments, and sympathize with those who have had problems.. Still, it's good to have the money. 

Respected Contributor

It is totally unnecessary to be nasty to someone asking a question.

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

It is totally unnecessary to be nasty to someone asking a question.

I don't think anyone is nasty

in the time it takes to log on here post your question, 

one can do the same on your same browser of choice.

and whether or not you watch the news, or have cable if you have the internet to post here, you can easily ask Mr Google. "what is XXXXX"

TBH most of us would be suspicious about any debit card arriving in the mail unannounced 

Esteemed Contributor

This has been all over the news the last 3+ weeks.  Yes, the government is sending cards instead of checks to most/many.  Don't waste police time on it.  Take it to your bank and they'll confirm if it's legit.