Honored Contributor

I'm glad I got the direct deposit rather than a card or a check, but would have been happy with any of them. The failing, it seems, was in not doing a better job of getting the word out there that some folks who filed joint returns and for whom bank information wasn't available would be getting debit cards, as it was felt it might help to speed things up, getting the stimulus money more quickly to those who hadn't yet received it and were wanting to know when they would be getting theirs...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

My friend got a Visa debit card and is having a difficult time using it.  Wants to deposit the amount into a bank account.  Otherwise, she says everytime the card is used there is a fee--$2???  

Honored Contributor

Re: Please Someone Help

[ Edited ]

It's real. It's your stimulus money.

Respected Contributor

@77yangya Read the news once in a while.  There have been several items.  The federal government is sending debit cards to certain taxpayers for the stimulus payments.  There have been warnings to people that the cards are coming and not to mistake them for junk mail.

Honored Contributor

Are you sure they were credit cards?  Debit cards are being sent, most of them are from Money Network Card Holders Services.  These are debit cards you have to activate.  They will give you both a web site to do it and a telephone number to access how much money they gave you.  I just went through this myself today.  You should first check with the IRS site, to find out if they sent you a card and on what date. My scheduled mail date was 5/22 but I didn't get it until today. I there is a 14 day window from when they told you they mailed it to the day you should receive it.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I'm glad I got the direct deposit rather than a card or a check, but would have been happy with any of them. The failing, it seems, was in not doing a better job of getting the word out there that some folks who filed joint returns and for whom bank information wasn't available would be getting debit cards, as it was felt it might help to speed things up, getting the stimulus money more quickly to those who hadn't yet received it and were wanting to know when they would be getting theirs...

The danger was security.  That's why the IRS did not exactly advertise about the debit cards.  They sent them out in run of the mill looking junk mail. I wanted to have direct deposit but my husband refused.  The less the IRS knows about you, the better. 

Honored Contributor

People living in TX and MA are likely to receive the debit card.  

Take it to your bank.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Please Someone Help

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

My friend got a Visa debit card and is having a difficult time using it.  Wants to deposit the amount into a bank account.  Otherwise, she says everytime the card is used there is a fee--$2???  

NO FEE.  Did she get the card from Money Network Cardholders Services?  It is a debit card.  She might be doing it incorrectly.   It will come with a letter of instructions to access it and find out how much money you got.  There is no fee at all.  You can go directly to your bank with the card and they will deposit the money for you.

Honored Contributor

what a mess!  People throwing the debit card away because they think it's junk mail.  Not following instructions.  The easiest thing in the world to do is take the card to the bank and will deposit your money in it!