Super Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

My DD sent me a e mail with a link to a item on Pinterest she wanted me to see.  I clicked on the link.  First they want me to down load their app.  I have no interest in downloading their app and cluttering up my IPAD screen with a app I have no interest in.  So, I said No continue on the browser.  Then it brought me to another page where it wants me to select 5 categories of items I want to follow.  I don't want to follow anything.   I couldn't even close that screen out although I could see the item my daughter wanted me to look at sitting behind the select 5 item screen.  I just gave up and closed the entire thing down.   Why do they have to make this so hard?

ITA KathyPet.  Tried to use this website and, well, I think it's so user unfriendly that it almost seems like some evil genius purposely designed it that way.

Super Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

If you ever decide to get the app, you can set it so you don't receive notifications.  They send daily emails (sometimes 20-25 in one day) to show you pins that are similar to yours, people who have similar pins as yours (your "pin twin"), and to let you know when someone re-pinned one of your pins.  I have a variety of interests for pin categories (gardening, education, recipes, etc.), so the more things you're interested in, the more notifications you'll receive.  There's a young math teacher at my school who gets math activity ideas from Pinterest every week--like that's her go to resource for anything and everything.  There are some interesting things on Pinterest, but it can be time consuming to sift through it all.  Some of the teen girls around here love it for hair, make up, and nail ideas.

Hahaha wildcat fan, the first sentence of your post is priceless! All that pinning nonsense is beyond annoying. No, no, no as in h-to-the-l no!

Honored Contributor

I just figured I was the only one.  I found myself there one time and just couldn't get past all the solicitations.

I find that more and more retail sites are doing this kind of thing.  You go there to look at an item, or search/compare for something you might want to purchase.  But you practically have to give them your ss# and first born just to LOOK!   

I just won't do business with places like that.  If I am going to purchase, fine - expect my name, address, etc, or whatever is necessary to sell me something.  But to not even be able to look...no es bueno.

Respected Contributor

Its because your not a member so why should it be easy for you? If you take the time to sign up then it is no drama. But your not so they keep reminding you by asking you to sign up.

I love pinterest and reference it often.

Honored Contributor

I can understand that they want people to 'join', but wouldn't most people want to check a place out before joining?  I know I would.  

I would like to know what it's like there, how they use my personal information, well - THAT they use my personal information (which is a deal breaker for me), and stuff like that.

I would not be inclined to join a place, sight unseen.   Maybe that's just me, and that's ok too.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have a Pinterest account and use the App on my iPad. I don't usually have any issues. It is true that emailing a pin to someone who isn't a member doesn't work easily for that person. Once in a while a pin I click on ends up at a dead end, but that can happen anywhere online. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pinterest is a PITA

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I just figured I was the only one.  I found myself there one time and just couldn't get past all the solicitations.

I find that more and more retail sites are doing this kind of thing.  You go there to look at an item, or search/compare for something you might want to purchase.  But you practically have to give them your ss# and first born just to LOOK!   

I just won't do business with places like that.  If I am going to purchase, fine - expect my name, address, etc, or whatever is necessary to sell me something.  But to not even be able to look...no es bueno.

The sites that want my email just to look, I pass up immediately. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I dislike it as well.  Almost as much as I dislike any webpage that requires you to view a slide show or click on multiple pages. As in they only put one or two sentences per page, and you have to click "next" in order to see two more sentences (and five ads), etc.   

I always click out as soon as I see I've landed on pinterest or one of those clickbait slide shows.

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I can understand that they want people to 'join', but wouldn't most people want to check a place out before joining?  I know I would.  

I would like to know what it's like there, how they use my personal information, well - THAT they use my personal information (which is a deal breaker for me), and stuff like that.

I would not be inclined to join a place, sight unseen.   Maybe that's just me, and that's ok too.  Smiley Happy

Okay @chickenbutt you need stop right there 'cause you are making way too much sense! :-).  Seriously though, there are just way too many well crafted competing websites with as much or more of the same type of information that they're offering to deal with their nonsense.

Esteemed Contributor

So in follow up,to my OP now I have two e mails from them.  One wanting me to confirm my E mail which I assume they got because me DD e mailed me the link to the item.  I certainly never gave it to them.  The second one  welcomes me to my first day at f Pinterest and wants me to set up"my boards".  Ugh these people are really pushy.  Needless to  say they will both go to the trash bin immediately.