Esteemed Contributor

I need your help.  Years ago, 40+, I always wore Shalimar and loved it.  I don't remember why I stopped, but, DH always liked it.  Anyway, I have tried various brands over the years but nothing stands out.  I liked the original TOVA but later versions reminded me of but spray.  I have been using Cashmere Mist cream and like it.  I am wondering if the current Shalimar is the same as the original or can you recommend something.  Something that lasts but doesn't enter the room before you.  I no longer have a department store nearby and I no longer drive on highways.  Thank you for your suggestions!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Perfume Ladies

[ Edited ]

I used to really like Shalimar, but now I can't stand it. There is a note or 2 I find jarring. It reminds me of pipe smoke

I lean toward florals since I am older. I particularly love the old scents like Diorissomo,  Arpege,. Joy, Quelques Fleurs.. L' Heure Bleue,Mitsouko

I am interested in trying Fracas..

Respected Contributor

I have the exact same taste in perfumes. I tried Shalimar a few years ago and it was not the same as the original. I was just thinking to try it again. I have been looking for a perfume for years. I do not seem to like anything (on me). 

Honored Contributor

I believe The Vermont Country Store sells Shalimar.  They do sell some of the old favorites on there.  You might want to check them out.

Honored Contributor

'Years ago' (again), I had several vials of Shalimar essential oils. 

You might want to try locally Whole Foods or Sprouts.

Otherwise, I'm guessing Amazon carries various essential oils.

Imo: It's always best to try/smell them in person, at a store.

Good luck to you!

Also, if anyone knows of a very light natural scent of jasmine, let me know.  Straight jasmine, not a mixture of 'this and that' with jasmine. The scent of walking past a garden of jasmine plants.  There are several in my neighborhood, and the scent is heavenly.

I haven't gone to a local store to look for a jasmine essential oil, though.  Thanks for the reminder!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@grandma r  You may want to try L'Heure Magique by Laura Mercier.  I purchased this Eau de Parfum this year and received numerous compliments on the scent.  Read about it on her website.  If you are near a Nordstrom, you can test it out.  It is truly a beautiful scent that lingers.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Ladies, thanks so much for your suggestions.  There is a Nordstrom Rack not too far away, I'll check out what they have.

I did try a sample of YSL Black Opium but my husband didn't like it.  

Jasmine is heavenly!!!  Can it be purchased online?

Respected Contributor

There are websites (luckyscent.com) that sell sample vials for a few dollars. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Perfume Ladies

[ Edited ]

Yes, jasmine essential oils can be ordered online; but I would prefer to find it local in person, so I can smell it, figure out if I have an allergy to it, etc.

I'm not comfortable about returning fragrances, as we all smell fragrances differently, And what 'bothers' me, might be heavenly to someone else.

So, when I have time, I'll call my local Sprouts or Whole Foods (very early in the morning), and find out if they even carry jasmine essential oil.  They usually look up items in stock in their computers, so I won't be bothering them to have to go to the aisles and waste their time looking just for me.

The parking situation isn't the best or I would drive over there (about 5 or 10 miles away).  (In opposite directions)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

Ladies, thanks so much for your suggestions.  There is a Nordstrom Rack not too far away, I'll check out what they have.

I did try a sample of YSL Black Opium but my husband didn't like it.  

Jasmine is heavenly!!!  Can it be purchased online?

@grandma r, some jasmine solifores (single not perfumes) might be very strong. If you the love the flower, maybe take a look at fragranica.com. You can search for perfumes by notes and the read reviews.

Calvin Klein's "Beauty" is jasmine-centric and very lovely. You can see the other two notes and read the reviews on the site I mentioned.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland