Valued Contributor

Re: PUPPY QUESTIONS

[ Edited ]

Please don't do it.  Large breeds do take longer to grow up and giant puppy paws pouncing on old kitty and doggie bones can't be good. 

16 year old cats don't want to be wallered at this stage.  Dogs with cateracts can't see the attack coming even in play. 

If you want a very smart dog that while a St.Poodle needs grooming, does not have all the allergy issues Goldens do and they don't shed.

Please please wait.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Wait a second on the invisable fence ,thinking it is punishment, we got the invisable fence in 1997,at our home then, moved in 2000 ,got it there, i moved after my husband died in 2013, got it here ,it is not punishment for my dogs, it keeps them safe .

@goldensrbest

Sorry, but I have to go with the 'pet experts' on this one.

IMO, of course you'd be a bit biased on their use since you use one, but we can agree to disagree.

I personally would never use one, but that's just me. I just don't believe in training a dog using punishment or pain methods.

IMO, the 'Pros' for using invisible fencing are all about owner convenience, i.e., less expensive than an actual fence, huge acreage (too expensive to fence) or those who have a 'Houdini' dog who 'escapes' any fencing, regardless of training. 

Electric Fences: Pros (from above link):

An electric fence is affordable for most people. Many neighborhoods and developments have strict codes governing the type of fencing, if any, that is allowed. Although electronic fencing can be expensive, it is often significantly less than the cost of materials and installation for traditional fencing, particularly the high-end options required in some places.

Electric fences give homeowners some flexibility. Electronic fences don’t interfere with surrounding views or break up green spaces created by open property lines. In addition, an electronic fence can be installed more quickly than many conventional fencing options.

An electric fence allows a dog to roam. Electronic fences can be designed to cover up to 25 acres. They also are easily installed on difficult terrain that may be more challenging for traditional fencing.

Invisible fences are effective most of the time. Some pet owners opt for an electric fence because other alternatives have failed to keep their dog inside (the dog either climbs over or digs under a traditional fence). In most cases, dogs quickly learn to stay within the boundary line to avoid the warning signal and subsequent shock.

Also, I keep a regular eye on lost & found pets in my area on a couple of local websites and many times I've seen 'found' pets who are still wearing their shock collars, so the effectiveness is questionable in my mind.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

I pet sit for a labradoodle, and he is the calmest dog I have as a fur-client. He is a joy to take care of.  I care for many cats and dogs and foster orphaned kittens and puppies.

Each puppy or adult dog will have their own personality.

If you can select one of the puppies that you would like to adopt, rather than the breeder pre-selecting a puppy for you, that is a good idea.  If that is possible, do a few "temperament" tests. I have found the best one is to attempt to lay the puppy on his back, if he has no problem with it, then he is more likely to be "laid back" and easier to train. Also see if he makes eye contact, or seems "forward leaning" like he would "charge", that would be an indication he might be a little aggressive. (I am not sure if I have worded that one to make "sense". )  A shy puppy that backs away is also an indication of a problem too.

If you can bring your older dogs to the breeder to see if they have a "good" chemistry, that also would be a good idea.

I have 6 rescue cats, and right now just one dog, an Irish Wolfhound. The wolfhound is young, and playful. I have a 17 year old cat, that puts the wolfhound in her place. The cat steals the dog bed, and pretty much rules the roost. The other cats don't give a darn about the dog, and the dog finds them "interesting". The other 5 cats are 14 years old.

As for the potty training issue: The pads you have in the house and anywhere the other dogs have "done their business" will attract the puppy and he may urninate there. I would treat those areas with white vinegar often, after cleaning the areas.

There are natural drops that you can apply to an area outside in your yard the will draw the puppy to the area to "do his business". Petsmart and Petco sell it, but I haven't had to use that in quite some time, and I cannot remember the name.

Taking the puppy out first thing in the morning, and right after he eats breakfast helps. Praise him and have a little treat to give him when he potties outside. Also, as someone else mentioned, take the puppy out every 2 hours.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

(edited for typos...hope I caught them all.)

how would I treat the area with vinegar? I do steam clean with the carpet cleaner but how exactly would I do the vinegar?  Thank you for your help.

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly

When I last had puppies, I put 1/2 cup vinegar in my steam cleaner tank with the steam cleaner solution or mix up a 50/50 solution of vinegar to water if using a spray bottle.

HTH!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

I need some advice on the puppy I will be getting in a couple months.  I currently have two 12 year old dogs- A Chihuaha and a mix breed Schnauzer-Corgi.  I also have two 16 year old cats who are sisters.  All seem to be in good health but the mix has slowed down quite a bit in the last couple years.  I am planning on getting a Golden Doodle- we were going to wait till our older dogs were gone to get a puppy but this is from a friends dog and this will be her last litter and we really wanted one of her puppies so we decided to go ahead and get one now.

That is the background story - so here is the advice I  need.  How do I best integrate this dog into the family? My Chi was trained on pee pads and to this day has issues with peeing in the house. Is there a danger that the puppy will smell the odors (though we clean-dogs can smell the odors) and this will hinder her housebreaking?  I put pee pads down for the Chi because she uses the rugs anyway so this helps but I don't want to EVER use pee pads to train again.  I learned my lesson on this.  

I'm starting to really dread this new puppy and wonder if this was a wrong decision---I was advised to get the new puppy into obedience training immediately and I do plan to do this.  

We also have two homes- summer and winter.  Cats stay with my grown children at our main home so I figured I should train the puppy there and only take her to summer home after potty training is fairly established.

Also have doggie doors and invisible fence at both homes.  Oh boy!  More complications to endure!  We are sad about the future deaths of our four pets and know having a new young one is a blessing, but how do I navigate all these issues?  

If anyone has dealt with some of these issues I desperately need advice about now...the momma is due to give birth to her puppies soon! I will welcome my new girl Harlie end of June /early July.

Thanks!

@dennylilly  I had to go back and read your opening post to see why you  actually posted.  Was it to convince yourself that you are doing the right thing?  Was it to get approval from other pet owners that this was going to be a piece of cake? 

The paragraph where you say "I am beginning to really dread this new puppy and wonder if it was a wrong decision." really sums this up for you IF you would take a hard look at your words.  There is your decision!  Wait until later. Why would you want to take this on, because it is a choice, when you are already dreading it (your own words)?  It is obvious you don't want to hear anyone's opinion on this because you try to make an argument out of every post. 

You are conflicted about this, argumentative about it.  Take a deep breath and listen to your gut on this.  I think it is saying no.

Just because this puppy is available from a certain breeder and it is a last chance, is no reason to get a dog.

I was asking about certain issues to naviagate when training the puppy-two homes, doggie doors, invisible fencing at both homes etc.  I mentioned my one dog with pee pad/peeing issues.  I asked for help in these areas and was surprised that I got a lot of responses instead that I should not get a puppy at this time due to hurting my older pets etc.  I did get argumentative and defensive on this and then aplolgized too since I DID ask for advice.  I was dreading the puppy training, crying in the night, chewing, etc. etc. NOT having a puppy to love...just thinking more realisitically since the puppy will be born any day....  I want and would love another animal but honestly WHO DOES enjoy this part of puppyhood?  It is something I will do but nothing wrong with admitting I'm dreading it and I have some MAJOR issues to deal with while bringing in the puppy....none of them had to do with having senior pets that I can't take care of if I have a puppy etc. etc.

Hope that makes things a little more clear.