Honored Contributor

How Did I Manage to Get a Dumb Alexa?

I've sorta been keeping track of Alexa (the gadget) versus my Suri IPHONE.  Guess what?  Suri is leading miles ahead of Alexa as far as smarts goes!

Good grief!  I'm constantly asking Alexa how to spell something....does she get it?  NO!  I just said, "Alexa!  How do you spell "berserk".....Alexa answered 2 times with, "Bismark, B i s m a r k".  Now I've never been accused of mumbling....I think I just got a dumb gadget.

Then (and this happens all of the time)...I say, "Suri!  How do you spell berserk"?  So she spells it correctly, no problem.

Do any of you have Alexa's?  I have several Dots (remember at Christmas you got 2 of them at one time).  I was going to set it up in the bedroom, but I'm not sure, it's probably dumb like her mother (Alexa). Ha!

Valued Contributor

Re: How Did I Manage to Get a Dumb Alexa?

[ Edited ]

I have had Alexa since it was first released. I don't have any problems with it. It answers what I ask with no problems. It responds to my daughter as well. The funny thing, it responds to the television sometimes.  I don't like the fact that it is always "listening", so I don't have it plugged in all the time. If you check the news, a suspected murder was committed. The police got a warrant for Amazon to obtain the tapes of what Alexa recorded. I think that is still in legal review, don't know if Amazon will release the recordings. I just am not interested in the potential of being recorded.  I don't have Siri, so I cannot compare it to that. 

Changed Suri to Siri...I have been educated, didn't know that.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

How funny!  I don't have the Alexis (don't want one)... although I have Suri on my Iphone6+ but rarely use it.  I usually use Google....  but a dumb Alexis just made me laugh.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I don't have any of these things.  But perhaps Alexa knows that you have a Suri and doesn't like it.  Or perhaps she is lazy and wants you to give Suri more work.  Or, as you said, she is just plain dumb.

I would fire her.  Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

I've had my Alexa for a couple of years now (not long after they first came out).  No problem here.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps your Alexa just learned how to spell the names of great men in history and wanted to show off.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   I think your Alexa may have cheated on her final exams!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

If they can't understand you, they can't give you the right answer. BTW, it's Siri, not Suri

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

LOL... yes, thank you...

SURI = SIRI

ALEXIS = ALEXA

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I have the Alexa Dot...and i just ask her to spell Berserk and she spelled it right away...correctly...

My problem is when i ask her to play a certain song..and she will play it by another person...i don't know how to correct that....