Regular Contributor

yes

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Quick word on invisable fences and I know you have one and like it.

But do you know other animals can get in your yard to attack your animals?  Even a human can walk right in and steal them  Did you know that if your  dog ever goes past the fence line and gets out,he will not be able to get back in?

There are many more reasons not to trust invisable fences but I am not going to get into them.

I am very sure you know them all !

Wishing you all the best      Smiley Happy

yes there are definite disadvantages but so far ours have worked out well.  my dogs iike the house and hate strangers so I think one would scare someone away if they tried to grab her.  I do watch them closely but for the most part they only go outside to potty or with me when i'm out there.  They are all very attached to me. I don't let them out at night at all due to the racoons that have used the door to come in...and the time my mix got sprayed by the skunk!  This was at our summer home more rural. Winter home is in a subdivision so I don't have those problems...

Regular Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

My Yorkie was deaf, blind and had few teeth and was given his meals seperate from the others and was well taken care of despite having 4 other pets to care for.  I am up for the job!  He died in his sleep at 15.  My pets are well loved and taken care of.  I am dissapointed that so much focus is on how wrong a puppy is regarding the other pets-- I was concerned with training--not hurting my older animals. This has come as a surprise to me to be honest.  I more thought the puppy would bring some life and fun back to the old ones.

@dennylilly

I might get grief for saying this, but if you were getting a rescue puppy from the shelter, you would get better responses from many of the posters,

I have found a lot of negatively when dogs are adopted through a breeder, rather than a rescue.

well my friend is not a "breeder" her dog has had three litters and that is it.  I would rescue in the future and this was a last minute decision and surprised my husband and I both how much we loved the puppies and the Momma once we got to know her...

Regular Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

I was in your situation last year. Lucy, my Sheltie mix and 'Gracie, my beagle were both 15. Gracie had Addison's and Lucy had a heart murmur. Later she was diagnosed with kidney cancer. I put her down. The house was too quiet so I got a new beagle puppy name Abby who was eight weeks old. I made sure that Abby didn't bother Gracie. Abby was in the kennel when I played with Gracie and vice versa. Same with meals. Then I would let them play together for 30 minutes and lock Abby back in the kennel. I would let increase their time together, but whenever I thought Gracie was getting irritated with Abby, Abby went back in the kennel. They finally got to the point where they would lay down together on the same bed, but Gracie's comfort was my priority. I don't regret getting Abby when I did. I had to put Gracie down five weeks later. The same day I was told my position was being abolished at work, I came home to Gracie dying. A tumor had ruptured.  If I didn't have Abby I would be a basket case (well more than I already am). Abby's puppieness has helped me with the job loss and with the mourning of Lucy and Gracie.

as long as you are aware of all behavior of all the animals, then it's doeable, but don't let the seniors get stressed out. 

I agree wholeheartedly with this way of doing things.  I will NOT let the puppy terrorize the older dogs.  She will be crated alot of the time because puppies need to be crated for the house breaking training.  Plus they sleep alot.  I will supervise her at all times and when I am not able to -into the crate she will go.  I did this with all my dogs and aside from the pee pad mistake, they all were trained and LOVED the crate. It was a comfort to them and a place they would crawl into on their own.  They never minded being put in there and thats where they went whenever I left them home.  Both mine went into same crate and they are buddies to this day. They are only three months apart and don't know they have a different mom LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

My Yorkie was deaf, blind and had few teeth and was given his meals seperate from the others and was well taken care of despite having 4 other pets to care for.  I am up for the job!  He died in his sleep at 15.  My pets are well loved and taken care of.  I am dissapointed that so much focus is on how wrong a puppy is regarding the other pets-- I was concerned with training--not hurting my older animals. This has come as a surprise to me to be honest.  I more thought the puppy would bring some life and fun back to the old ones.

@dennylilly

I might get grief for saying this, but if you were getting a rescue puppy from the shelter, you would get better responses from many of the posters,

I have found a lot of negatively when dogs are adopted through a breeder, rather than a rescue.

well my friend is not a "breeder" her dog has had three litters and that is it.  I would rescue in the future and this was a last minute decision and surprised my husband and I both how much we loved the puppies and the Momma once we got to know her...

I will preface this by saying I am not against responsible breeding. And getting a puppy from a breeder is not an adoption, it is a purchase.

@dennylilly your friend is a breeder, she has bred her dog and probably sold the puppies in order to make some money.  Responsible breeders have genetic testing done on both parents to ensure quality puppies.  They are not in it to make money.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Golden doodles are VERY high energy, high strung - like OMG high strung - I have two neighbors with them and they are really needing some training.  I don't know how all of your old dogs are going to handle that, but good luck.

really? my friends dog is very laid back and calm.  I know puppies have alot of energy - I DO have alot of experience with dogs as we have had many over the years. This is the first time having a large dog and I felt this would be a great difference from the small barky dogs I've had in the past.  I have had poodle, yorkie, terriers and once we had a large dog a Husky/shepard who was wonderful...

..... then you should know the answer to your question, which is fairly common knowledge, especially for anyone who has had more than one animal in their home.

My priority would be the animals currently in your home -- their safety and well-being. Personally, I wouldn't allow my urgent feelings of needing to adopt this puppy now to control what I choose to do. It sounds like you have a good balance in your home that could easily be upset by introducing a new puppy.  If you must proceed, make sure you introduce your animals to the new puppy on neutral ground. The puppy will require a tremendous amount of your time and attention. Make sure that doesn't override your time and attention from your other pets.

Again, I would want my current pets to feel 100% comfortable, particularly since it sounds like they are getting on in years, before bringing in someone new.

I agree with @SaRina.  It is too bad you feel this urgency to replace pets that you still have and that usually during the last part of their lives, require a lot of attention and care.  I don't know how old you and your DH are, but how long has it been since you have trained a puppy?  We recently got a puppy, the first in 9 years.  We are senior citizens and to say the least, we are exhausted and he is the only pet in the house.  I would take this time to enjoy the remaining time you have with the pets in your household now.  This is where your true committment lies.  When the time comes, there will be a puppy with your name on it, waiting to enjoy your FULL attention.  You won't be overwhelmed with and sidetracked by giving hospice care to your elderly pets.  The beginning and end of a pet's life is SO important and time consuming.  Please, don't short change either one.

All the best!  I am sure your friend can find a good home for the goldendoodle that is not yet born.  BTW our neighbor has one and we see him running by our house several times a day trying to wear her out.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Regular Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Golden doodles are VERY high energy, high strung - like OMG high strung - I have two neighbors with them and they are really needing some training.  I don't know how all of your old dogs are going to handle that, but good luck.

really? my friends dog is very laid back and calm.  I know puppies have alot of energy - I DO have alot of experience with dogs as we have had many over the years. This is the first time having a large dog and I felt this would be a great difference from the small barky dogs I've had in the past.  I have had poodle, yorkie, terriers and once we had a large dog a Husky/shepard who was wonderful...

How old is your friends dog. For they get any kind of the golden traits it will be hyper for a few years.

My friends dog, the momma of my future pup, will be 6 years old in June and has NEVER been hyper and none of her pups have been either.  I just asked my friend and she told me this and I saw the puppies myself and know two other people who adopted and have the puppies and they are not hyper either.  So I assume that will not be a problem.  Puppy behavior but not Hyper.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would just like to say that it is possible to take care of elderly pets and puppies at the same time.  It takes some planning, extra effort and sometimes it will be exhausting yet it is possible.  Puppies are not puppies forever and many older dogs have no problem setting limits for the puppy, who will learn how to behave around them.  While it may not be something you will be interested in doing, there are many others who have dogs of all ages living together.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Regular Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@dennylilly wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

..... then you should know the answer to your question, which is fairly common knowledge, especially for anyone who has had more than one animal in their home.

My priority would be the animals currently in your home -- their safety and well-being. Personally, I wouldn't allow my urgent feelings of needing to adopt this puppy now to control what I choose to do. It sounds like you have a good balance in your home that could easily be upset by introducing a new puppy.  If you must proceed, make sure you introduce your animals to the new puppy on neutral ground. The puppy will require a tremendous amount of your time and attention. Make sure that doesn't override your time and attention from your other pets.

Again, I would want my current pets to feel 100% comfortable, particularly since it sounds like they are getting on in years, before bringing in someone new.

I agree with @SaRina.  It is too bad you feel this urgency to replace pets that you still have and that usually during the last part of their lives, require a lot of attention and care.  I don't know how old you and your DH are, but how long has it been since you have trained a puppy?  We recently got a puppy, the first in 9 years.  We are senior citizens and to say the least, we are exhausted and he is the only pet in the house.  I would take this time to enjoy the remaining time you have with the pets in your household now.  This is where your true committment lies.  When the time comes, there will be a puppy with your name on it, waiting to enjoy your FULL attention.  You won't be overwhelmed with and sidetracked by giving hospice care to your elderly pets.  The beginning and end of a pet's life is SO important and time consuming.  Please, don't short change either one.

All the best!  I am sure your friend can find a good home for the goldendoodle that is not yet born.  BTW our neighbor has one and we see him running by our house several times a day trying to wear her out.

there is no urgency to replace my elderly dogs.  I explained that this opportunity came up to get a puppy from a dog that we like and have seen her puppies who other friends of our BOUGHT and we decided that to wait for ours to die would keep us from getting one of hers.  I don't think I am shortchanging my pets that I already have and LOVE.  I feel they will enjoy the puppy also.  I am concerned about the amount of energy the puppy will have but I am willing to give her what she needs and am fully committed to all of them.  We are animal lovers and have had multiple pets for YEARS.  I am not young but I am able to give the attention needed because I do not work and can devote all my time to these pets if necessary.  I iike the idea of doggie day care if necessary once in a while to let her run and play with other dogs and will never neglect my older pets.  i can love another just as I could love my second child even though I had a toddler to take care of too.  It can be done and the joy and love I will get in return is worth all the trouble they are...

Regular Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

I would just like to say that it is possible to take care of elderly pets and puppies at the same time.  It takes some planning, extra effort and sometimes it will be exhausting yet it is possible.  Puppies are not puppies forever and many older dogs have no problem setting limits for the puppy, who will learn how to behave around them.  While it may not be something you will be interested in doing, there are many others who have dogs of all ages living together.

Thank you for that.  I admit having a puppy to train is not the most fun I can think of but I am willing to do it because I want one of this dogs offspring.  It will be a pain but like you said puppyhood doesn't last forever.  I will let my older dogs decide how much they want to interact with the new one.  

Honored Contributor

Re: PUPPY QUESTIONS

[ Edited ]

@dennylilly wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Thank you for that.  I admit having a puppy to train is not the most fun I can think of but I am willing to do it because I want one of this dogs offspring.  It will be a pain but like you said puppyhood doesn't last forever.  I will let my older dogs decide how much they want to interact with the new one.  

@dennylilly  The problem is that the puppy will taunt and jump on the older dogs... It is what puppies do.  Most likely nothing you can do will stop it. The poor older dogs will be miserable.  Just my opinion from my past experience getting a 6 week old Irish setter pup years ago, and at the time I had a 12 year old Irish... the puppy relentlessly jumped on him and made him miserable...  and it continued for months and months....I always thought later I should not have gotten the puppy at that time and let the older dog  just be happy in his old age. . It was a good lesson learned.