Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I agree 100%, but I have come to understand this issue this way: 

Sports stars are valued not by their contribution to society, but by thieir ability to bring $$ to the team ownership.  The owners are willing to pay $X million to a player, because they can generate $X+Y mlllion in revenue.  Spend money to make money.

It is not that way witih other professions.  Other workers are a drain on the company coffers, not a $$ generater.

It has nnothing to do with "value" in terms of value to society.

it isnt just about making money for their team and the owners, it is also about providing jobs for OTHERS in their cities AND helping other types of businesses prosper from their sports teams......bars, restaurants, parking faciliies, hotels, public transportation, and more.....

ask people what it feels like or how devastating it is to lose a popular sports team in their city.........

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I do agree that paying these,obscene amounts of money are a means to a end which is then to earn the team owners a obscene amount of money.  This is a perfect example of why I dispise professional sports so much.  It is not the love of the game.  It is the love of the $$

Honored Contributor

It's Capitalism and a free market society.  It's not perfect but the opposite, Communism didn't work out so well.

Honored Contributor

I can't wait for football season to start. 

Trusted Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with a society that considers it acceptable to pay someone $170 million dollars over 4 years to throw a basketball through a hoop and then have the team that is involved Post glowing press releases about it like this is,something to be proud of. I am glad I am old and probably will not live long enough to see the downfall of a country that considers this sort of obscenity to be normal.  

@KathyPet

I TOTALLY, TOTALLY agree with your post.  Our society has become so twisted and sick it's incomprehensible -- and so very, very sad.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with a society that considers it acceptable to pay someone $170 million dollars over 4 years to throw a basketball through a hoop and then have the team that is involved Post glowing press releases about it like this is,something to be proud of. I am glad I am old and probably will not live long enough to see the downfall of a country that considers this sort of obscenity to be normal.  

Hmmm, atletes are no worse than highly paid actors, how do you feel about them @KathyPet

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

It is no different than the Kardashians making millions and millions doing NOTHING. It is free enterprise.... that is America. Take it or not.

Honored Contributor

There is nothing obscene about it. The less there is of something, whether a gem, ocean front, or people with a wanted talent, the more valuable that something is. While some may not value those who consistently sink basketballs, enough do to make it valuable.

Respected Contributor
Blackmailing cities fir better stadiums while pocketing more profits while seeing cities struggling to provide basic necessities is super disturbing. Let's not forget that many of these players are exempt from the earning taxes in cities where the stadium custodians, clerks, etc have to have that deducted from their pay. More mergers and acquisitions- great for upper management but little thought to worker bees. Back whike I studied social studies I remember the "fact" that monopolies were prohibited in order to protect society. It's understood that not everyone can be talented and gifted in special ways, but many individuals do great works to keep businesses and institutions running. They don't deserve to be taken advantage of.
Esteemed Contributor

@twins mom wrote:
Blackmailing cities fir better stadiums while pocketing more profits while seeing cities struggling to provide basic necessities is super disturbing. Let's not forget that many of these players are exempt from the earning taxes in cities where the stadium custodians, clerks, etc have to have that deducted from their pay. More mergers and acquisitions- great for upper management but little thought to worker bees. Back whike I studied social studies I remember the "fact" that monopolies were prohibited in order to protect society. It's understood that not everyone can be talented and gifted in special ways, but many individuals do great works to keep businesses and institutions running. They don't deserve to be taken advantage of.

Welp @Twins Mom, how about when a Mayor or Governor begs a team to stay?  Even offer them incentives to do so?  Those stadiums generate revenue and someone is getting big time money on the tax of the property itself.

THINK!!!!!!!

*Call Tyrone*