Honored Contributor

Rip tide almost swept a family out to sea, beachgoers saved them

This story so warmed my heart as virtually an entire team of beachgoers saved a family caught in a a riptide:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/07/11/a-riptide-swept-away-a-florida-family-...

Honored Contributor

Re: Rip tide almost swept a family out to sea, beachgoers saved them

@momtochloe Amazeballs and heart-warming....teary-eyed too....I do have faith in humanity!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh thank you @MickD, it just seems to me that we as a people don't seem to care for each other as we used to so when I read articles about total strangers putting themselves in potentially fatal harms way it just touched my heart . . . Heart

eta:  Amazeballs!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go to beach in Clearwater, FL.  I'm always mindful of the "riptide" and of course now the stingrays ...

About a year ago my cousin and I were sitting near edge (Wednesday not many beachgoers) and went into water -- then I noticed a man pretty far out from my comfort zone.  

Then reality set in he was caught up in mini-riptide. No lifeguards on beach so I thought to myself can I make it to him.  I am a good swimmer but against a riptide wasn't too sure. My cousin stayed on shoreline & I called out to him. 

God was with us that day another man & wife were close enough

to get to him and then we held onto each other helping him swim to safety.  I literally cried after this experience it was overwhelming.  lots of "visitors" don't realize what a beast the sea/gulf can be.   

In fact, I don't go any further than where I can stand - although the Gulf is calm one never knows! In fact, many days I go over our community pool and I stay near lower section where I can stand (deep end is 10') just because I'm alone. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I go to beach in Clearwater, FL.  I'm always mindful of the "riptide" and of course now the stingrays ...

About a year ago my cousin and I were sitting near edge (Wednesday not many beachgoers) and went into water -- then I noticed a man pretty far out from my comfort zone.  

Then reality set in he was caught up in mini-riptide. No lifeguards on beach so I thought to myself can I make it to him.  I am a good swimmer but against a riptide wasn't too sure. My cousin stayed on shoreline & I called out to him. 

God was with us that day another man & wife were close enough

to get to him and then we held onto each other helping him swim to safety.  I literally cried after this experience it was overwhelming.  lots of "visitors" don't realize what a beast the sea/gulf can be.   

In fact, I don't go any further than where I can stand - although the Gulf is calm one never knows! In fact, many days I go over our community pool and I stay near lower section where I can stand (deep end is 10') just because I'm alone. 

God bless you @homedecor1 that you helped that man as without you and your fellow beach goers he may have perished.  To be honest I am not comfortable in water shall we say above my knees so i cannot imagine what it must be like to be caught in a rip tide . . . good on you you my friend!

Esteemed Contributor

The way to get out of a rip-currant, is to seim parallel to the shore, until you are out of the rip-currant, and then swim in to shore, letting the waves help to push you in.

NEVER try to swim against the rip-currant, as it is stronger than you.

The good samaritans heats were in the right place, but the situation could have ended in tragedy, with multiple fatalities.

Many a good samaritans who went to rescue someone, ended up needing rescuing themselves.

The best thing to do is call 9-1-1, and from shore, direct the person to swim parallel to the shore.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

Thank you but I think human kindness & spirit kicks in when we see someone in need or distress.

Im always amazed in emergency situations my "common sense" goes right by the wayside! And I'm normally not a good one in those situations but God is always there watching over...

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@momtochloe

Thank you but I think human kindness & spirit kicks in when we see someone in need or distress.

Im always amazed in emergency situations my "common sense" goes right by the wayside! And I'm normally not a good one in those situations but God is always there watching over...

@homedecor1 for me there are two types of people.  Those that run towards the fire and those that run away.  Those that run toward the fire are focused on helping whatever the situation.  I admire folks like you!

Honored Contributor

It's always amazing to me how all of us - all races and ages - pull together when someone needs help. This story definitely shows this. The mayor of Panama City should recognize anyone who was a part of that human chain!

BUT - I KNOW how deadly riptides can be. A young man not too far from here drowned last summer. I'm a swimmer; my mom was a swimmer (she almost made the Olympic team). I grew up with one rule, and this has been passed down to my family: No one goes in the ocean without a lifeguard present. Even though I was a trained lifeguard, and DD is, and DS could be, they stay out if no beach lifeguard is there. We stay on the beach, and we can wade, but once they leave for the day that's it for us. My children and I have all been caught in at least one dangerous situation with the current. In each case a lifeguard was there. Thank goodness!

DH and I like to relax on the beach in the evening. It's amazing to me how many families will come down then and let their young children go way out without any supervision. 

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

This story so warmed my heart as virtually an entire team of beachgoers saved a family caught in a a riptide:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/07/11/a-riptide-swept-away-a-florida-family-...

Thank you for posting.  They just did a segment on Good morning America.  What a lovely story.  I think all of these people should go to Washington and give them a lesson in working together.  A wonderful story.