Esteemed Contributor

There is something seriously wrong with a society that considers it acceptable to pay someone $170 million dollars over 4 years to throw a basketball through a hoop and then have the team that is involved Post glowing press releases about it like this is,something to be proud of. I am glad I am old and probably will not live long enough to see the downfall of a country that considers this sort of obscenity to be normal.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

Re: Our twisted society

[ Edited ]
Sports is *BIG* money operations. Do agree lacking morality. Give example-Michael Vick crime against dogs. Slap on the wrist prison time for one. He was allowed back to play make millions. Omg!!! Rancher saved the remaining pit bulls, then after months working with the dogs placed in loving homes. He's the hero in this tragic story. Honestly! Every time think of MV want to throw up! This is no different. Sandusky another example. Head coach statue removed. Imagine his legacy, Not remembered for the work he did over fifty years coaching, When thought of people will say disgusting man covered for sexual pervert. Possibly in time system will change. Look what happened with "Sea world" thankfully public opinion made the difference. Sports has its place in bringing entertainment. Yes, There are many fine examples of players who devote time and money helping children and the less fortunate. Hero's give back.
Honored Contributor

Well, it's a free market.  Professional athetes are entertainers and Americans like to be entertained.  Entertainers are paid what the market bears.  I guess if Americans had less disposable income they wouldn't pay as much for entertainment and we wouldn't see such exorbitant salaries.

Respected Contributor

I agree 100%, but I have come to understand this issue this way: 

Sports stars are valued not by their contribution to society, but by thieir ability to bring $$ to the team ownership.  The owners are willing to pay $X million to a player, because they can generate $X+Y mlllion in revenue.  Spend money to make money.

It is not that way witih other professions.  Other workers are a drain on the company coffers, not a $$ generater.

It has nnothing to do with "value" in terms of value to society.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

WE are valued in our society not by our contribution to society but  by our ability to make money for our employer. I was a critical care nurse. I know that I saved hundreds of lives thru the coarse of my career but in Pittsburgh there is a glut of nurses - there are several colleges turning out thousands of new nurses each year, thus nurses in Pitts are poorly paid. On the other hand my DH worked in sales. He was hard working, and made commission. His income was 4 times mine. He sold motors for a living - I saved lives. Go figure.

Honored Contributor

Bottom line is money. 

As long as John Q. Public keeps buying tickets to watch, buys the products that the athlete endorses, keeps filling those stadiums with fans that buy the food, drink and shirts, the franchises will pay the big money.

Like everything else that gets changed, it starts with the individuals funding it....and that is sports fans in this instance. If 'we' don't watch, attend or support, the pay would come into line.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with a society that considers it acceptable to pay someone $170 million dollars over 4 years to throw a basketball through a hoop and then have the team that is involved Post glowing press releases about it like this is,something to be proud of. I am glad I am old and probably will not live long enough to see the downfall of a country that considers this sort of obscenity to be normal.  

So when a sports team makes hundreds of millions of dollars in merchandising, distribution and ticket sales the owner is just supposed to keep all the money? The players shouldn't get paid proportionately well? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

What steams me is that the team owners blackmail cities to pay for their stadiums.

Honored Contributor

I agree that the world is turned upside down.Intelligent people working to make our lives better,safer,easier,healthier are paid less and not notable while our entertainers get all of the riches and accolades.I think there has become too much emphasis on sports and not enough on education.....not going to keep America great.