Honored Contributor

Re: Our dog has bitten- again.

It is incomprehensible to me that someone would choose their dog over the safety of their niece or nephew. That tells me something else is going on. So get beyond that point, and what I didn't read here was the threat of a lawsuit. If one is proved negligent with one of these animals, your insurance may not be enough to cover awarded damages. I hope you are comfortable living on the street with your indignation. I am personally aware of a family that lost their home due to an injury to a child playing on their property.

Trusted Contributor

No way, under any circumstances would I keep an unpredictable animal that bites and has already drawn blood several times. It is a sad, hard decision, but you need to put this dog down ASAP -- certainly before your grandchild comes to visit -- and before the dog seriously injures someone. Not only do you face the sad possibility of injury to yourself or those you love; your legal liability is HUGE since you already know this dog is a biter.

My beautiful niece had to have extensive facial plastic surgery as a child after a "nippy" dog went for her face and did extensive damage to her lips and lower face. No way.

Honored Contributor

I've always had dogs and love them; now I have three. I would never tolerate a pet which proved to be a repeat biter or was untrustworthy. It's just not worth it constantly worrying that it was going to injure an innocent person. I don't believe such dogs can be rehabilitated. The behavior is too ingrained. You'd never know when and if they were going to snap and attack someone. Please don't let people here lay guilt on you. They aren't in your home and don't have first-hand knowledge of the situation. Only you can make that decision.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 depglass said:

It is incomprehensible to me that someone would choose their dog over the safety of their niece or nephew. That tells me something else is going on. So get beyond that point, and what I didn't read here was the threat of a lawsuit. If one is proved negligent with one of these animals, your insurance may not be enough to cover awarded damages. I hope you are comfortable living on the street with your indignation. I am personally aware of a family that lost their home due to an injury to a child playing on their property.

Uh, I think you may be referring to my post above....and yes, my dog at that time was everything to me and I do like dogs and cats more than kids. My schnauzer never bit anyone, they only wanted me to put her up and I refused to. So there! It doesn't matter anymore, that was in the 80's and my schnauzer lived a nice long life. And my brother's x-wife lives 2000 miles from me and I don't miss her one bit.

Super Contributor

I have a friend who has a Boston - who would bite. She took him to the vet and found out that he was having seizures. Once on medication for the seizures, he never bit again.

Now I know that this is just one case, but she told me that her vet said it was not unheard of in Boston's. Maybe something to think about/check out.

Valued Contributor

I often read (sometimes on this forum) that a dog's problem is always caused by a bad owner. The owner must have "done something" to make the dog be aggressive. I also know from experience that isn't always true. Years ago we adopted a Lhasa mix puppy from the shelter. After a few months she started baring her teeth and growling at my 10 y.o. son. Lest you think my son abused her, that was not the case. He loves dogs and is now a veterinarian. I took the dog to obedience school, and the trainer said the dog was trying to move up the social ladder to be the boss. The dog also started growling and bearing her teeth at strangers. One day without warning, she bit me twice on the arm. The bites were bad enough to draw blood, and I needed a tetanus shot. We put the dog down. If that dog would bite me, she would bite anyone. I just couldn't take any more chances.
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/4/2014 shamalamadingdong4 said: I often read (sometimes on this forum) that a dog's problem is always caused by a bad owner. The owner must have "done something" to make the dog be aggressive. I also know from experience that isn't always true. Years ago we adopted a Lhasa mix puppy from the shelter. After a few months she started baring her teeth and growling at my 10 y.o. son. Lest you think my son abused her, that was not the case. He loves dogs and is now a veterinarian. I took the dog to obedience school, and the trainer said the dog was trying to move up the social ladder to be the boss. The dog also started growling and bearing her teeth at strangers. One day without warning, she bit me twice on the arm. The bites were bad enough to draw blood, and I needed a tetanus shot. We put the dog down. If that dog would bite me, she would bite anyone. I just couldn't take any more chances.

I do not think anyone has ever said that the problem is caused by the owner, however there are many things an owner can do to prevent and correct issues in a dog. In some cases it may be a matter of controlling the environment. Sadly in many circumstances people do not want to put the time and effort into the dog.

True aggression is extremely rare, dogs are typically reacting to something in there environment or even a medical issue. I am sure your son would know this as a veterinarian. He sees dogs everyday reacting badly because of being at his office.

Obedience training can help in some circumstances however this "moving up the social order" is extremely old school. There are trainers and behaviorists that can help identify the trigger and work with the dog and the owner to correct or at least help with the issues. I have a dog that is not comfortable with other dogs (and will react very poorly), yet because I have learned what her triggers are and can manage them we participate in agility competitions. Over time she has become much better to the point I have brought another dog into my home. Is it more work - Yes, and I would do it again in a minute.

The fact that so many people use the words aggressive and unpredictable indicate that they truly have not had professional, that know how to work with these dogs, help. Knowing that these dogs can be helped and that owners are not willing to do it is very unsettling. Chances are that they once the problem dog is gone, they will bring another one into the home.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

On 7/5/2014 CrazyDaisy said:
On 7/4/2014 shamalamadingdong4 said: I often read (sometimes on this forum) that a dog's problem is always caused by a bad owner. The owner must have "done something" to make the dog be aggressive. I also know from experience that isn't always true. Years ago we adopted a Lhasa mix puppy from the shelter. After a few months she started baring her teeth and growling at my 10 y.o. son. Lest you think my son abused her, that was not the case. He loves dogs and is now a veterinarian. I took the dog to obedience school, and the trainer said the dog was trying to move up the social ladder to be the boss. The dog also started growling and bearing her teeth at strangers. One day without warning, she bit me twice on the arm. The bites were bad enough to draw blood, and I needed a tetanus shot. We put the dog down. If that dog would bite me, she would bite anyone. I just couldn't take any more chances.

I do not think anyone has ever said that the problem is caused by the owner, however there are many things an owner can do to prevent and correct issues in a dog. In some cases it may be a matter of controlling the environment. Sadly in many circumstances people do not want to put the time and effort into the dog.

True aggression is extremely rare, dogs are typically reacting to something in there environment or even a medical issue. I am sure your son would know this as a veterinarian. He sees dogs everyday reacting badly because of being at his office.

Obedience training can help in some circumstances however this "moving up the social order" is extremely old school. There are trainers and behaviorists that can help identify the trigger and work with the dog and the owner to correct or at least help with the issues. I have a dog that is not comfortable with other dogs (and will react very poorly), yet because I have learned what her triggers are and can manage them we participate in agility competitions. Over time she has become much better to the point I have brought another dog into my home. Is it more work - Yes, and I would do it again in a minute.

The fact that so many people use the words aggressive and unpredictable indicate that they truly have not had professional, that know how to work with these dogs, help. Knowing that these dogs can be helped and that owners are not willing to do it is very unsettling. Chances are that they once the problem dog is gone, they will bring another one into the home.

If ever there's a dog attack, and this especially happens with the Pit Bull breed, the first thing many people will say over and over and over again is, "blame the owner, not the breed! Educate yourself!" I think many people do try their best to help their dogs, but the cost of all the obedience training and vet trips adds up, and quickly.

Even Tia from that show on Animal Planet says that sometimes dogs are aggressive because of poor breeding.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/5/2014 NC Bandwagon said:
On 7/5/2014 CrazyDaisy said:

If ever there's a dog attack, and this especially happens with the Pit Bull breed, the first thing many people will say over and over and over again is, "blame the owner, not the breed! Educate yourself!" I think many people do try their best to help their dogs, but the cost of all the obedience training and vet trips adds up, and quickly.

Even Tia from that show on Animal Planet says that sometimes dogs are aggressive because of poor breeding.

Sadly some breeds carry a stigma because a small number of people have bred them for fighting. Poor breeding can cause both health and behavior problems with any breed. Owners of large breeds get all the attention, yet small dogs tend to nip and bite more frequently.

Yes there may be a small number that are truly aggressive, yet I have seen so many more amazing dogs that just need an owner willing to put in the time. It is not a money issue it is putting in the time and effort. You would be amazed at the number of puppies that end up in shelters because they are biters. Well yes puppies bite (and they have sharp teeth) you have to teach them appropriate behavior. When you fail to do that they become adults who bite.

The vast majority of dog bites are based in fear, even with pit bulls.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.