Super Contributor

Re: Our dog has bitten- again.

Bite levels do determine progression of dog bites. The highest level is death. A dog that bites at a lower level breaking the skin and less than 1/4 inches deep and in only one location just one bite mark and never progresses beyond that level can have bite inhibition reinforced. It is thought that if that particular dog did not have some bite inhibition it would have progressed. It is a matter of whether the owner wants or feels that they can deal with what is needed. These are things that behaviorists and courts of law use to determine the fate of a dog.

Yes any dog can bite but not every dog does. Soft mouth training aka bite inhibition as a puppy and reinforcement throughout their life plays a big role. Temperament and canine health are factors too. The op has a hard decision. All I provided was the criteria that is used.

Super Contributor

On 6/22/2014 nagrom said:

Bite levels do determine progression of dog bites. The highest level is death. A dog that bites at a lower level breaking the skin and less than 1/4 inches deep and in only one location just one bite mark and never progresses beyond that level can have bite inhibition reinforced. It is thought that if that particular dog did not have some bite inhibition it would have progressed. It is a matter of whether the owner wants or feels that they can deal with what is needed. These are things that behaviorists and courts of law use to determine the fate of a dog.

Yes any dog can bite but not every dog does. Soft mouth training aka bite inhibition as a puppy and reinforcement throughout their life plays a big role. Temperament and canine health are factors too. The op has a hard decision. All I provided was the criteria that is used.

Bite levels do not work with small dogs. Small dogs could probably not kill you, no matter how many bites they inflicted. This does not mean the bites are not bad, it just the fact their teeth are not big enough to inflict major damage like a large dog with big teeth.

Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I hope you're able to come up with a good plan with your vet to minimize any more impact (yours or your dogs) of his biting.

Owning a pet is a risk. We take a risk on many levels allowing pets into our lives. And this is one of them. I hope you find the best solution for you and your dog.

Valued Contributor

Wadzlla, I am so sorry you are going through this. We had to have a fox hound put down because he bit someone and it was a horrible time for us. Our vet told us that once a dog bites, you can never be sure of them again. We would never take that chance. Good luck and God bless.
Super Contributor

Bite levels are appropriate for all dogs whether big or small because they indicate exactly what was bitten. For example a small dog bites someone in one place a single bite barely drawing blood. The next time that same dog bites it is deeper bite mark and the dog is progressing to a higher level. The third time that same dog bites and the bite is on the lower leg and upper leg. That is progression and that particular dog cannot be rehabilitated. It marks that the dog is getting worse and more dangerous no matter the size. A small dog can dog less damage but if a person is down on the floor and that dog bites them in the neck it is very dangerous. Location, intensity, duration of the bite are all key factors in determining outcomes. Not every dog can be saved or should be saved. That is the criteria used in dog bites. When in doubt always choose the human. Unfortunately, not all owners feel that way.

Honored Contributor

In some cases, death is a mercy. I believe in quality of life. I know I could not live with an animal that would bite at any moment without warning, or bite at all for that matter. It is not a joyful life for the animal or the owner. He is an older dog, and things go wrong in aged animals and people. Do what you must, for the dog's sake and yours.

Respected Contributor

Well, I couldn't put a dog down that was otherwise healthy. Just could not, would not do it. If I had to, I would find an organization that takes dogs that seem to be unadoptable and lets them live out their lives there.

Super Contributor

It's the times we live in.

When I was a child, we had a German Shepherd who guarded the back yard. The property backed up to school, and in the late afternoons, kids would play ball. Those balls came over the fence on a regular basis, and even though 130 lb GS (BIG), was barking, the boys would climb the fence to get their toys, and get nipped. Today, GS would be put down. Back then, he was just doing his job.

Respected Contributor

I am very sorry that you have to go through this, OP. I hope things get better for you one day. This can't be an easy decision for you.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Occasional Contributor

Hey it's sad that your'e facing this problem. I can totally relate to your situation because I'm going through the same. I have this Belgian shepherds that's really nice and friendly but I guess sometimes he gets out of his mind. Last week he bit a neighbour in the leg and I'm so upset. I've been searching blogs and forums for information about how to deal with him. Do you think we need a dog trainer??