Honored Contributor

Re: Opening Up Creates New Issues

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I just read an article reminding me that in 1968, we were also in the middle of a pandemic - the flu spread from Hong Kong and killed - wait for it  - 100,000 in the US.  At the time our population was 200 million.  It is now 328 million.

We didn't shut down.   We survived.  I have said from the start - this is an ugly virus yes, but none of the projections played out.

Now the WHO is touting Sweden - which did NOT shut down - as the model everyone should have followed - and should follow from here out.

The "experts" have been wrong at every turn.  Yet nothing bad will happen to them.  They will continue to be revered by people terrified of getting sick and they will continue to draw their large salaries.

Meanwhile, they have caused real suffering - most of it yet to be realized.  I am so sorry we ever listened to any of them.  And yet  - even now - the press is beginning to blame the results - not on the "experts" who were wrong, but on the leaders who listened to them.

@Isobel Archer, I don't recall whether there was a vaccine for that flu. I know that I did get it from a friend of mine. She was extremely sick; I still went to my classes at UCLA (yes, I was foolish).

But look at the number of deaths you provided. I'll assume they are correct. Yet in the next breath, you say but see, we didn't stay in and we survived. Apparently, 100,000 of us didn't.

And Sweden's numbers are far higher than any of their neighbors'. In any case, one can't compare Sweden to the U.S.

This is a "novel" virus; we still no little about it, certainly not enough to know how it will play out, what kind of immunity, if any, will it confer, etc. We do know that it affects the body much differently than does the flu. Doctors are apparently seeing some lasting damage to the body, especially to the lungs.

As for the press pointing fingers, I have seen no evidence that it is now directed to those who listened to the experts. I would almost guarantee that such musings are limited to a select media.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

There's no "new issue" here. And living your life is only a problem for those who've been led to believe that it's a problem. Thankfully, the majority of people don't think that every establishment needs to provide cleaning supplies when shoppers venture into their stores. What's next? The maniacal few demanding decontamination units? 

As for fretting about flushing, you've got to be kidding me.

Those who are afraid (and they will be interminably afraid) of going about their business, can simply stay home. The rest of us shouldn't be expected to live indefinitely under house arrest to accommodate them.

@Moonlady, polls consistently show that the vast majority approve of the restrictions and do not want them removed prematurely. The states that are doing so have not even reached the national guidelines.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer Science has progressed since 1969.  We  do have the ability to prevent many of the deaths.

On the other hand, our public high school system has not taught advanced science to about 1/3 of the students.  It is those students/grads who are not able to study the data.  It is a shame.  Just a shame.

Honored Contributor

In my opinion if they call states back to work, to resume life as before ....there needs to be rules.  For one, no one in the open state should be allowed to leave the state.  Sure makes me mad if Nevada,, Oregon and a few other states opened up , then started coming into California, possibly bringing Cooties with them.  It is just unfair, mean and thoughtless!  Especially  since we have given a lot to be where we are.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't think people in an opened state would head to a closed one. You need to tell people in your closed state to stay put and not live your state. 

Honored Contributor

If I were concerned - I'd just stay home in my own anticeptic environment. 

I have one friend who has not left her apartment even once since this whole thing stated.  She's actually afraid to go outside. 

I refuse to live that way. 

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Son went back to work and they were told to use the sanitizer sparingly, as there was a short supply.  Well, they shouldnt have brought them back then if they cant protect basic needs.

This is what I have been saying.  If you cannot protect your employees don't bring them in until you can.  I am still upset about the meat packers.  In these news conferrences I hear get the country open again but not one word about how the plan works to keep workers safe.