Honored Contributor

Re: Opening Up Creates New Issues

The safety issue for all kinds of workers and for the rest of us as well is in my mind..  My part of Florida is not opening up and even if it had been included in the governor's proclamation, I'm not ready.

I want to know where the workers do feel safe before I start to add pieces back into some new normal.   I don't want to start doing things that will increase the load on the workers who are already exhausted -  thinking all kinds of care facilities, supermarkets, even fire fighters and police who answer all sorts of call.

Even Amazon hasn't figured out worker safety.  Read an article this morning that a French court ordered them to stop selling non-essentials when workers brought a suit complaining of grueling, long hours in unsafe warehouses.   Amazon said they couldn't separate essential from non and closed all their warehouses in France.  Article didn't give dates.

Respected Contributor

Of course it does but there's no other choice...we have to get the economy back up & running.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tricolor 

ITA - Our immune systems are meant to guard against (germs) we are exposed to.  that is their purpose.  They must come in contact with bacteria/viruses that are around us all the time, we cannot get away from them unless we live in a bubble.  I have always felt we go too far in using anti-bacteria hand soaps, dish washing soap, cleaners, etc. I do not mean the precautions we are taking against this new virus, but in general we were using too many anti-germ products. 

Self isolating against the coronavirus was necessary not to overwhelm health care systems I understand, but self isolating has its own dangers.  To our mental health, immunity systems, the young learning how to interact with others in life.  Not just by text or electronically, but actually interactng with people.  I will be very glad when the isolating is over.  The results of it (which are unknown currently) scare me as much as the virus does - the effect on our economic system, and other facets of life.

Never could I have imagined you could not find such a simple thing as soup on the shelves in the United States, but that is what I have found in the last few days in ALL of our local grocery stores.  What is coming is worrisome to me.

Esteemed Contributor

Every wo/man for h/herself. I'll be bringing some of my own supplies back to the office, but I can't work with gloves on. Not sure if I'll need a mask because no students or community allowed back on campus until August and I work alone across the hall from other cohorts. Lots of washing of hands and using lotion. Will spray and wipe down the place first thing in the morning.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

I was watching a NJ surgeon on MSNBC this morning. 

He was warning to stay out of public bathrooms at all costs.

When a toilet is flushed, all sorts of nasty particles permeate the air carrying the virus.

This would be a very hard place to avoid if you are at work.

Oh gross! There are no lids on toilets in public bathrooms. I hadn't thought of that. I was mainly concerned about how close the stalls are and how many people could even be allowed in restroom at a time. Maybe custodians will start using that bleach stuff that turns the toilet water blue again. They should.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@Tricolor 

ITA - Our immune systems are meant to guard against (germs) we are exposed to.  that is their purpose.  They must come in contact with bacteria/viruses that are around us all the time, we cannot get away from them unless we live in a bubble.  I have always felt we go too far in using anti-bacteria hand soaps, dish washing soap, cleaners, etc. I do not mean the precautions we are taking against this new virus, but in general we were using too many anti-germ products. 

Self isolating against the coronavirus was necessary not to overwhelm health care systems I understand, but self isolating has its own dangers.  To our mental health, immunity systems, the young learning how to interact with others in life.  Not just by text or electronically, but actually interactng with people.  I will be very glad when the isolating is over.  The results of it (which are unknown currently) scare me as much as the virus does - the effect on our economic system, and other facets of life.

Never could I have imagined you could not find such a simple thing as soup on the shelves in the United States, but that is what I have found in the last few days in ALL of our local grocery stores.  What is coming is worrisome to me.

@KathyM23 , you have expressed my exact thoughts. Not only soup but flour is not available, rice, pasta, canned fruit, peanut butter just to name a few. What's coming may be much worse than this virus. I know that there are medical professionals who are very knowledgeable but they know nothing about running an economy. We need people on both sides to help us get through this. I worked in healthcare and was never a germaphobe. I did ot over dress my kids when they were little. Consequently we were a very healthy family. Today as I wore my mask to the grocery store I could not help but think this is doing more harm than good.

Respected Contributor

I saw three hand sanitizer options at my gas station while buying mower gas. 

Honored Contributor

Right now nothing scares me as much as the possibilty of dying a horrible, protracted death best described as drowning.

Everything else pales in comparison.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I just read an article reminding me that in 1968, we were also in the middle of a pandemic - the flu spread from Hong Kong and killed - wait for it  - 100,000 in the US.  At the time our population was 200 million.  It is now 328 million.

We didn't shut down.   We survived.  I have said from the start - this is an ugly virus yes, but none of the projections played out.

Now the WHO is touting Sweden - which did NOT shut down - as the model everyone should have followed - and should follow from here out.

The "experts" have been wrong at every turn.  Yet nothing bad will happen to them.  They will continue to be revered by people terrified of getting sick and they will continue to draw their large salaries.

Meanwhile, they have caused real suffering - most of it yet to be realized.  I am so sorry we ever listened to any of them.  And yet  - even now - the press is beginning to blame the results - not on the "experts" who were wrong, but on the leaders who listened to them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's no "new issue" here. And living your life is only a problem for those who've been led to believe that it's a problem. Thankfully, the majority of people don't think that every establishment needs to provide cleaning supplies when shoppers venture into their stores. What's next? The maniacal few demanding decontamination units? 

As for fretting about flushing, you've got to be kidding me.

Those who are afraid (and they will be interminably afraid) of going about their business, can simply stay home. The rest of us shouldn't be expected to live indefinitely under house arrest to accommodate them.

What worries you masters you.