Honored Contributor

keep 

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I no longer keep things like this. I move on because for me, those things are not real anymore.

Old letters and cards from family and friends, yes, I still keep many, but those from loves that are now over, really have no meaning to me. It, to me, is only a snapshot of something that was at a moment in time, and did not last.

Now if I had such letters from my husband, I'd keep them, or if they were from a former beau that had passed away (like often happens in wartime) and we didn't part of our own choosing, I would probably keep them.

ITA!   I keep cards from my husband.  I've discarded all other love letters/cards from former boyfriends when we stopped dating.

Valued Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I have an entire box of love letters exchanged between my mom and dad when they were dating.  

I wish I would of put them in the crypt when my mom passed, I read and few and smiled and then realized how so much in love they were.

What do you think I should do with them?

I would put them in a book and save them for future generations.  Good for you for saving them,

Respected Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

I have a letter from my first love who framed it, and presented it to me when we said goodbye to each other.  We met when we were both living in NYC for the summer when we were both 21.  It was an intense, whirlwind romance, and we both had to go back to our own Ives, and opposite coasts, when the summer ended.  I keep the framed letter in a large Tupperware bin with many other mementos.  Whenever I go into that bin to find something, I come across it and become overwhelmed with emotions and memories.  I feel very lucky to have had that experience, and I wouldn't mind at all if someone else read it after I've gone.

@RazorSharp- yes, my letter did bring back a flood of memories - all good.  I too feel blessed to have known that person.  I thought I had destroyed all love letters and yet I came upon this one, in pristine condition, unlike some other photos and letters I found.  Brought tears to my eyes. 

Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I have neighbors who have been married for 63 years.  He suffers from dementia.  Despite the fact they have live-in care for him, she still waited on him hand and foot.  About a year ago he was going through an old trunk filled with his WWII things.  Apparently he was engaged while he was in the war.  His wife did not know this.  He came across the old love letters the former lady in his life wrote him while he was overseas. He told his wife he found their old lovers letters.  She was SHOCKED.  He began calling her by the other woman's name. No matter how many times she corrected him, he still called her by that name.

He is still at home but my neighbor told me she felt betrayed and has become bitter.  There are 5 children and 9 adult grandchildren.  The family dynamics have changed dramatically not because of the dementia but because of those letters.

Some things should remain private.

@lulu2 - Oh my - I think she needs to get over it - he has no control of what he says now and who knows what a person with dementia goes through.  I think she is being rather selfish.  That was so many years ago - come on! 

Respected Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

I sorted through and kept certain ones. I have two plastic shoeboxes.

I wonder if anyone gets love letters anymore. It's probably all email.

@lavendar - I was thinking the same thing - I doubt that young women ever get a handwritten letter from a beau - really sad that handwritten letters have become a thing of the past - they are so personal. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@lulu2 - Oh my - I think she needs to get over it - he has no control of what he says now and who knows what a person with dementia goes through.  I think she is being rather selfish.  That was so many years ago - come on! 

@hoosieroriginal

Some family members would agree with you.  I think she wishes she could but it's easier said than done.

No one knows what another person feels but the husband seems as happy as a lark.  He is demanding and his needs are taken care of immediately.  He has no responsiblities, everything is taken care of.

My heart breaks for this 83 year old lady. She has help but she's lived his condition everyday for the last 5+ years.  She promised she would never put him in a home.

Trusted Contributor

@Jasmine19---That is a beautiful way to display those letters.   I have PostCards that DH's Gfather sent to his beloved wife from France during the war, each with a beautiful lace hanky.   I think I will do something like that.

Since DH and I have been together since the ages of 15 & 18, not much in LoveLetters. Just silly notes.  On cards from him, wonderful notes, those I have.  Everyone has seen them, so no problem there.

I would be inclined to keep love letters from the past.----------ted

Honored Contributor

Back in the day there were no computers, only Ma Bell and pen and ink. I wrote and received love letters from a few guys during the Viet Nam War and of course my husband. I didn't keep the letters from boyfriends, but I kept my husbands, of course he deep sixed mine after he read them.LOL

Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh, I just got a memory jog:  After I got married, and we came home on our first leave to visit, I hadn't even thought about it, but it turns out my mom had kept old boyfriend pictures that I thought were gone. I'm not sure now where they are,  gone for sure, but it was such a sweet surprise that she'd saved them for me just in case I had still wanted them.