Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ok, so now, your first concert?

The Rolling Stones was my first concert in 1964 or 1965 when they amazingly performed at my high school football field.  This was followed by seeing the Beatles  where tickets for floor seats cost $8!  These concerts began my attending many concerts throughout the years.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

We've been listing our first record albums, how about your first concert?

Mine was Bobby Sherman.  Late 60's or early 1970 in New Jersey.

Amphitheater. We sat it the second to last row.  I was in absolute heaven. 

He was my teen heartthrob. Spent making Saturday's with my friends buying 16, Tiger Beat, Flip and Fave magazines and putting scrapbooks (multiple volumes) together. 

The Stones 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to so many concerts in the 1970s...through high school and all through college...we had some great concerts in college....Dave Mason, Jim Croce, Bruce Springsteen, ELO (On stage in my little local community college) Billy Joel, Peter Frampton.

I went to many more at the Tower Theater and The Spectrum in Philly over the years too!

However my very first concert was before the Spectrum was built.  It was at a place called "the Arena" in Philly to see The Doors in the summer of 1968.

ETA:  I'm envious of those of you who saw The Beatles!! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

In my youth, concerts were a rarity and the sound systems were not as loud as today's big concerts.  I was never a fan of the massive events of any kind.

Any performances I go to now are much smaller venues with assigned seating and a sound level that is more tolerable.  

Many of the artists often joke about the crowd "staying up past their bedtime."

Yea, we're all getting old Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

In my youth, concerts were a rarity and the sound systems were not as loud as today's big concerts.  I was never a fan of the massive events of any kind.

Any performances I go to now are much smaller venues with assigned seating and a sound level that is more tolerable.  

Many of the artists often joke about the crowd "staying up past their bedtime."

Yea, we're all getting old Cat LOL

@Witchy Woman 

I totally understand where you're coming from ...... concerts werent as "rowdy" or as loud as todays....Yep, for me and my friends rather than the large AT&T arena or Alamodome stadium it's a concert with a musician/group in a more intimate setting, the historic Majestic Theater or Tobin Center with assigned seats.......more suitable for us "old folks".......😉

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

It may be that concerts in general weren't as loud decades ago but certainly loud enough to make me somewhat deaf for three days after a Van Halen concert. Lol. Glad I got to see them in person. The first concert I attended was Petula Clark. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SunValley 

Well, there is loud, then there is Van Halen Cat LOL

Would have loved to have seen them...had a terrible crush on David Lee Roth (in his prime)...that HAIR, those tight pants...yikes!

Petula is still touring and was in Annapolis a few years back.  I missed her, but hope she comes back.  Seems a lovely woman and a beautiful, unique voice.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman Yes, petula has a great voice. She set the standard for me on judging how much was voice and how much was studio production fine tuning! 

Van Halen group swigged down at least a fifth each on stage. It got crazier and louder by the minute but there was no denying their musical ability.

Esteemed Contributor

My very first concert was...Drum Roll Please...Frank Sinatra at the  Paramount, his very first show.  Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

Iron Butterfly and Black Oak Arkanas.