Honored Contributor

Re: Ohio's Slow Re-Opening

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

TN is reopening restaurants in most counties today, in spite of a spike in cases overnight, due to increased testing. Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville, the bigger cities, are going by their own timeframes.

No way would I go sit and eat in a restaurant today. If I'm not going to sit and eat dinner at a friend's house today, why on earth would I go to some public place and do it there with a bunch of strangers?

No live music is a huge disappointment to many of us, even though it's not clear how to do it safely without on demand testing -- due to all the breath and airflow involved with it. Nashville is Music City and that is our big claim to fame and tourist draw. Without live music everywhere, it's not the same at all.

I'm not participating in this Southern experiment. It's self-selecting and those who want participate can go right ahead. The seeming lack of concern for my safety from the state's PTB only increase my cautiousness. If I'm on my own here and fending for myself, don't expect me to take unnecessary risks on your account.

@Porcelain, I'm not sure what the current situation is but did the govenor of TN agree to allow openings but the mayors of the larger cities said they will make the decision as to when their cities will open?

I ask because when this first started happening, the mayor of Nashville ordered everything closed and Tootsie's and Kid Rock's bar/restaurant remained open.  They stated they were not closing unless the governor ordered it.  I believe they closed a couple days later due to public pressure.  People were not happy with those 2 establishments.  I just wonder if the same thing could happen again.

Tootsies and the Kid Rock place are bars that happen to serve food so they aren't going to be opening yet regardless, from what I gather. Thank goodness. The counties that have the big cities in them have been the hardest hit by COVID-19, so it's not safe for them to go at the same pace as everywhere else. Being cities, they also tend to have more public spirited and health conscious leadership (nothing political intended by that).

Now that character who owns those bars in Nashville may yet do something stupid. Would not put it past him at all. I hope he gets sued into oblivion for what he already did and the lives he took.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   that is sort of what I was thinking as well.  My friend who works retail was anxious for May 1...in the store she works rarely is there more than 2-3 people in at a time and she works alone...that store could easily open.

@Mom2Dogs, when it comes to retail, though, it would be very difficult to carve out exceptions based on the number of customers, given that that is so fluid. I think they have to do it by category, of course with strict guidelines. As to enforcement, I doubt that will occur with any regularity.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Social distancing isn't as important when wearing a mask the dentist and staff can wear long sleeves underneath their uniforms too.

Thus the false sense of security because you are wearing a mask.  Health care workers have been getting sick all along even with PPE.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: Ohio's Slow Re-Opening

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

TN is reopening restaurants in most counties today, in spite of a spike in cases overnight, due to increased testing. Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville, the bigger cities, are going by their own timeframes.

No way would I go sit and eat in a restaurant today. If I'm not going to sit and eat dinner at a friend's house today, why on earth would I go to some public place and do it there with a bunch of strangers?

No live music is a huge disappointment to many of us, even though it's not clear how to do it safely without on demand testing -- due to all the breath and airflow involved with it. Nashville is Music City and that is our big claim to fame and tourist draw. Without live music everywhere, it's not the same at all.

I'm not participating in this Southern experiment. It's self-selecting and those who want participate can go right ahead. The seeming lack of concern for my safety from the state's PTB only increase my cautiousness. If I'm on my own here and fending for myself, don't expect me to take unnecessary risks on your account.

@Porcelain 

I get a bit tired of the South being thought of as ignorant by many, let me say again, North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland are not open.  I was also reminded that neither is Louisiana.

Darwin was on to something.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

A lot of people in Ohio aren't happy with the way things with the virus have been handled in Ohio, too conservative for many, but I have been happy with the care taken, and how we were among the very first to make most calls on closings and restrictions. 

I like this soft opening, because I think it will let us do two things. It will let us see if there is a quick spike in cases in that first couple of weeks, and it will test the waters to see if people will respect space and distance and masks/hygiene etc. before it is a full all out opening.

I see people already taking the whole thing too lightly even before we begin to open things up.

My plan, and my advice is for people to act like it is still very critical and maintain distances, masks, limit where you go and what you do there. 

I personally won't be comfortable going out too much more than I have been during this stay at home, until we see a couple of months with things opened up, and where the numbers come in on new cases, deaths, hospitalizations etc. 

It's just more wait and see for me.

Honored Contributor

Pennsylvania is starting to reopen too.  Friday, May 1, the golf courses, private campgrounds and marianas are opening up.  Yeah!

Social distancing still applies.  I am a happy camper.  I can't wait to to hang out on the boat...just the two of us.  it beats looking at four walls any day of the week.

Elective surgery can also resume.  Our hospitals have plenty of room.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

I get a bit tired of the South being thought of as ignorant by many, let me say again, North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland are not open.  I was also reminded that neither is Louisiana.

Darwin was on to something.

I'll delete the Southern from the post.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio   I also think Gov. DeWine has done a good job and the slow opening is what I had already expected....I think the numbers in a month will tell a lot.

My routine before all this happened was home to work thru the week...weekends was church, and usually made a trip to the city for lunch after church and sometimes to shop.  There were a couple of weekend events that had to be cancelled and doutbt they will be rescheduled.  I enjoy art shows and flea markets in the summer on the weekends, I hope they are not all cancelled.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I found the website confusing too. LOL But I went right around 3:00 when he said everything would be up on the site but maybe it isn't.

I have really liked him throughtout all this but I felt today was very confusing.  Maybe it's my simple mind but I thought he should have announced what was going to open and then went through the criteria of the rules in place for them to be open.  It was like he kept jumping back and forth and it got confusing.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't understand what he was talking about with the masks.   

@Lipstickdiva  You said it perfectly.  Why doesn't he post a list. The website is absolutely no help! I'm getting very frustrated w/DeWine.  And I'm tired of hearing about Fran and his children and grandchildren.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Very confusing "guidelines" and way to slow of process.  Really dragging their feet on this one.  All for some restrictions, but from what I got from the speech was just a bunch of gibberish. 

@CrazyDaisy  Absolutely agree with you!  Why not post a dedicated list?