Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Sounds like DeWine is making good choices with essential medical and low-contact things opening first. I wish he would mandate masks.

I'm confused about why places like Georgia and Texas have gone the opposite route and have chosen to open high-contact businesses like salons, spas, tattoo parlors, gyms, and restaurants first when we haven't yet shown that our numbers of new infections have dropped for two weeks or more. Some Texas cities and counties closed construction back in March, but then the Governor opened them back up when he left them out of his much looser shelter-in-place order.

One town chose to open early and people were flocking to restaurant patios. I heard on the radio this morning that a tattoo parlor in Atlanta had something like 50 customers over the weekend. You can't be 6' away from someone for a tattoo. I hope everyone involved at least wore face masks.

I believe Oklahoma and Tennessee are open as well?  All southern states.

@Lipstickdiva 

FYI,  North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland are not open.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor
@Mom2Dogs. Dental work is health-related and much more important than retail. Even if going just for a 6-month routine checkup, a dentist can find something on an Xray that needs to be addressed as soon as possible (that has happened to me).

Furthermore every dentist I have been to -- and their staffs-- have had excellent protective measures for nor spreading germs and I'm sure they'll have even stricter measures in place now.

Dentists and retail are apples and oranges. Dentists are in the same category as doctors.
Super Contributor

Things need to start opening up.  All of us are anxious and  going stir crazy and mental health is important too

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ohio's Slow Re-Opening

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Sounds like DeWine is making good choices with essential medical and low-contact things opening first. I wish he would mandate masks.

I'm confused about why places like Georgia and Texas have gone the opposite route and have chosen to open high-contact businesses like salons, spas, tattoo parlors, gyms, and restaurants first when we haven't yet shown that our numbers of new infections have dropped for two weeks or more. Some Texas cities and counties closed construction back in March, but then the Governor opened them back up when he left them out of his much looser shelter-in-place order.

One town chose to open early and people were flocking to restaurant patios. I heard on the radio this morning that a tattoo parlor in Atlanta had something like 50 customers over the weekend. You can't be 6' away from someone for a tattoo. I hope everyone involved at least wore face masks.

I believe Oklahoma and Tennessee are open as well?  All southern states.

@Lipstickdiva 

FYI,  North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland are not open.

@Drythe @Lipstickdiva 

Nor is Louisiana. Gov. Edwards will be speaking  this afternoon as to what will happen when our stay at home order expires on Thursday. But he has made it clear that re-opening will be a slow, steady process led by the daily numbers. No Georgia hijinks. 

ETA Louisiana stay at home has been extended until May 15. Our governor is following Federal guidelines, unlike some of the other governors. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Re: Ohio's Slow Re-Opening

[ Edited ]

TN is reopening restaurants in most counties today, in spite of a spike in cases overnight, due to increased testing. Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville, the bigger cities, are going by their own timeframes.

No way would I go sit and eat in a restaurant today. If I'm not going to sit and eat dinner at a friend's house today, why on earth would I go to some public place and do it there with a bunch of strangers?

No live music is a huge disappointment to many of us, even though it's not clear how to do it safely without on demand testing -- due to all the breath and airflow involved with it. Nashville is Music City and that is our big claim to fame and tourist draw. Without live music everywhere, it's not the same at all.

I'm not participating in this experiment. It's self-selecting and those who want participate can go right ahead. The seeming lack of concern for my safety from the state's PTB only increase my cautiousness. If I'm on my own here and fending for myself, don't expect me to take unnecessary risks on your account.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Mom2Dogs. Dental work is health-related and much more important than retail. Even if going just for a 6-month routine checkup, a dentist can find something on an Xray that needs to be addressed as soon as possible (that has happened to me).

Furthermore every dentist I have been to -- and their staffs-- have had excellent protective measures for nor spreading germs and I'm sure they'll have even stricter measures in place now.

Dentists and retail are apples and oranges. Dentists are in the same category as doctors.

I think the confusion comes in because dentists are very up close and personal with you with no way to social distance.  The dentist and a hygientist are working inside a patient's mouth, the patient is spitting often times, etc.  

There have been lots of hygientists and dental assistants complaining about not having enough PPE to re-open the offices. It's not only a matter of not spreading germs, it's a matter of keeping themselves safe.     

Honored Contributor
Social distancing isn't as important when wearing a mask the dentist and staff can wear long sleeves underneath their uniforms too.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee I understand that but I think retail could open at the same time.....in our area the virus numbers are very low.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

TN is reopening restaurants in most counties today, in spite of a spike in cases overnight, due to increased testing. Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville, the bigger cities, are going by their own timeframes.

No way would I go sit and eat in a restaurant today. If I'm not going to sit and eat dinner at a friend's house today, why on earth would I go to some public place and do it there with a bunch of strangers?

No live music is a huge disappointment to many of us, even though it's not clear how to do it safely without on demand testing -- due to all the breath and airflow involved with it. Nashville is Music City and that is our big claim to fame and tourist draw. Without live music everywhere, it's not the same at all.

I'm not participating in this Southern experiment. It's self-selecting and those who want participate can go right ahead. The seeming lack of concern for my safety from the state's PTB only increase my cautiousness. If I'm on my own here and fending for myself, don't expect me to take unnecessary risks on your account.

@Porcelain, I'm not sure what the current situation is but did the govenor of TN agree to allow openings but the mayors of the larger cities said they will make the decision as to when their cities will open?

I ask because when this first started happening, the mayor of Nashville ordered everything closed and Tootsie's and Kid Rock's bar/restaurant remained open.  They stated they were not closing unless the governor ordered it.  I believe they closed a couple days later due to public pressure.  People were not happy with those 2 establishments.  I just wonder if the same thing could happen again.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   that is sort of what I was thinking as well.  My friend who works retail was anxious for May 1...in the store she works rarely is there more than 2-3 people in at a time and she works alone...that store could easily open.