QVC Customer Care

Re: Oh goodness another multiple shooting in Maryland

Honored Contributor

One of the victims was Rob Hiaasen, the brother of author Carl Hiaasen.

Honored Contributor

45 mintues away and didn't hear anything about it until last night when attending a large zoning hearing at the County Seat. Someone mentioned it and everyone in the room was like "what shooting?" 

More odd, it didn't show up on my phone news feed until this morning. Workplace/media grudge that festers until the person decides to use violence as payback. He took his time planning it out, that's for sure.

Honored Contributor

Beautifully said.

B4D76C22-23E7-4BBF-8233-7A9EB1565C9C.jpeg

Honored Contributor

The woman he stalked ,was so afraid of him she slept with a gun , and moved to a differnt state. She predicted he would become a mass shooter.  It's a shame everyone's hands were tied 'so he was able to  do his evil works

I don't know what anyone could have done to prevent this. You can't arrest someone because you think they might commit a crime

He was a ticking time bomb.  

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

That fear is what survivors of domestic violence feel all the time even after leaving the abuser. You're right, you can't do ANYTHING until SOMETHING happens. Doesn't matter that they threaten or they're behavior shows a pattern....they have to break the law first and THEN something can be done.

And by then, it's too late. 

So sad for those paying the price for this mans' obsessive need of revenge.

Respected Contributor

After the stalking incident, why wasn't his firearm confiscated? SMDH

Honored Contributor

@bathina  how do you know this is the same gun? It is very easy to buy a gun, right off the street. If he didn't commit a crime with a gun, he might have still been able to keep it.

I don't know if the gun laws are standardized.  but I think not. Each state probably makes their own decision about their gun laws

Honored Contributor

No, we can't prosecute someone until after they commit the crime, but we CAN do something about limiting their access to deadly weapons so they can't commit the crime in the first plac